Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Drive failing to spin up (with audio) :-( what to do?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MikeBusuttil 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

When I plug in my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB hard drive it makes this noise: View attachment failnoise.zip

if you guys have any advice before I go ahead and RMA this old beast and loose all my data ( :cry:) I'd be EXTREMELY apreciative!!

Thanks everyone :)

-Mike

#4 ·
Re: Drive failing to spin up (with audio) :-( what to do?

OK got it to play on my mac on my win with VLC I got nothing. Sounds like bad heads an hopefully no platter damage as occured. Not DIY recoverable unfortunately. Send to a Pro for diagnosis and quote

#5 ·
Re: Drive failing to spin up (with audio) :-( what to do?

The clicking noise, I think, is the sound of the heads clanging against the stoppers that are positioned at the edge of the platter. Some "home remedies" include anything from putting the hard drive in the freezer; jostling or shaking it; or replacing the controller board with a new board from an identical hard drive. None of these methods are guaranteed to work--in fact, they rarely do, which is why professional data recovery services come into the picture.

I had a similar problem with my old hard drive, which failed after about two years of use. My local shop placed an estimate for data recovery in the ballpark of $1,000. To retrieve the data from the drive, the tech needs to place the disk platter in a clean room, as even the slightest obstruction to the platter (hair or dust) will render entire sectors of data inaccessible. Needless to say, it's a very precise operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.