Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Does a SATA hard drive use the same power source as an IDE?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Does a SATA hard drive use the same power source as an IDE? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm slowly upgrading my compter, and I just bought a 160GB SATA-II Western Digital Caviar hard drive as my first

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:15 AM   #1

I'm slowly upgrading my compter, and I just bought a 160GB SATA-II Western Digital Caviar hard drive as my first upgrade. My motherboard does not support SATA as it is quite old so I bought a SATA to IDE converter pack...

https://tinyurl.com/2sjygo

...so I can use the hard-drive for now on my old mainboard but when I get a new main board I can just remove the IDE converter thing and that's that, but I'm a bit confused...

The converter pack came with an IDE plug PCB with two connections on the other side of the PCB: a SATA port for a SATA cable and a smaller 4-pin plug. The pack also included a SATA cable and another small cable (see the auction page) which goes into the 4-pin port on the converter PCB and the other end of the cable looks like the usual power plug for CD drives and hard-drives etc. except it only has 2 actual pins in it. and two small cables coming from it (again, see the auction picture). So the IDE 40-pin plug goes into my mainboard, and the SATA cable into the hard-drive, but what do you reckon the other smaller cable is for? Can't I just use the normal power-connector coming from my PSU?

Sorry for the long and possibly confusing explanation, but if anyone could help I'd be realy grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

depending upon what SATA drive you buy you might get one with a power connector similar to your old IDE power connector .. but you may also find that it only has a larger version of the SATA to motherboard connector .. both drives have this connector but some still cater for the old IDE power connector

if you don't have a SATA with the old connector there are adapters available to make the conversion ..
a lot of power supplies are now coming equipped with SATA power connectors too .. some just supply an adapter

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

With that kit you plug the card into your IDE port an the motherboard, the red data lead goes from the card to the hardrive and the power cable goes from the card to one of the molex connections that you would normally use on cd's and hardrives etc
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #4

I got a Western Digital 160GB SATA-II hard-drive but it hasn't arrived yet.

I did a bit of researching and WD hard-drives typically have a SATA power connector as well as the old-style molex connector (like this: https://www.mysuperpc.com/build/sata_...rs_jumpers.jpg), but will using the older-style molex power connector effect the hard drive's performance in any way? Ie. is there any advantage to using the SATA power connector?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Just use the molex. There is no advantage in using the SATA power connection
Old 07-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #6

excellent. Thanks for your help guys.
Closed Thread