Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Computer Fell a good 4 feet... Need help

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Powk 
#1 ·
Yesterday my computer fell a good 4 feet off of my desk and landed open side first (motherboard was not facing floor). Anyways, I got the computer up and running again 2 hours later, working fine and all for about 4 hours. Then today I started the comp up and next thing u know the HDD wont boot into Windows. The windows loading screen comes up and then it just makes a weird black pix elated screen and just freezes there. Please Help me out​

#3 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Re: Computer Fell a good 4 feet... Need help

If a desktop system is dropped, or even after a move, it's a good idea to re-seat the RAM and the expansion cards and also check to see if all connectors are properly and securely pugged in.

Check your heatsink too as a drop oftentimes knocks these loose; if it is loose you will need to clean off the old thermal compound and reapply new before re-seating the sink.

Also, check the video cable's connector for bent or broken pins.

#11 ·

I'd connect the disk to another computer (maybe through a USB box) and back up all important data before doing anything else. Then, indeed check that everything is firmly in its place.
Today, data is valued much higher than any hardware.

#12 ·

I did everything you said MPR, Heatsinks are not loose. Re sat all ram, re sat video card cause it seemed a bit loose. Re-connected all sata ports just for the hell of it. Looked everywhere for loose connections but everything seems fine. The video card is fine and so are the sata connections. Still pretty confused on what the problem is. Im guessing that the windows files are corrupt? I'm not sure though

#16 · (Edited)

What I would do now is to change the BIOS boot priority to CD first and then see if I could boot to the setup screen in the Windows setup CD. However, before you do this you might also see if you can access the boot menu by pressing F8 upon bootup and see if Windows will start in safe mode. If it will then you might get it to boot normally by reinstalling your video driver.

If you can get to the recovery console then one of the techs here can assist you further re OS repair. It would help too if you posted your system specs.

#22 ·

Okay problem is fixed, I ran the windows startup repair and apparently the volume on the disk was corrupt, it fixed it and now i can boot into windows. I would just like to tell you guys thank you for helping me out. :) cya around the forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.