Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] CHKDSK /R on Kingston SSD Causes BSOD

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] CHKDSK /R on Kingston SSD Causes BSOD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just installed a Kingston 128GB VNow SSD in my brand new Thinkpad Edge 15 running Win7Pro 64-bit. Install went

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just installed a Kingston 128GB VNow SSD in my brand new Thinkpad Edge 15 running Win7Pro 64-bit. Install went without a hitch. After installing the O/S I used Disk Manager in Windows to partition it into C: and D: drives.

Here's the issue: I found that I cannot do an image backup of my C: Drive with any backup program. Some programs give me an I/O error like Windows Backup, others get a Blue Screen of Death about halfway through.

I scheduled a CHKDSK C: /R so CHKDSK is run on the C: drive before Windows comes up. It gets through all the files test no issues, but on the last test (the sector test I presume) it crashed with BSOD about halfway through.

I'm trying to determine if the SSD could be corrupt and a reformat and re-install will fix it (bummer I can't even make an image copy so it will take hours to reinstall my dozens of apps), OR, could it be some sort of hardware compatibility issue or configuration problem. The machine runs great otherwise.

I saw a post somewhere referencing an SSD and BSOD and the recommendation was to change the SATA setting in the BIOS for ACHI to COMPATIBILITY. I tried that, but then Windows won't load, it crashes right after you see the Starting Windows part so I had to set it back to ACHI. I did see some reference to changing the mode BEFORE installing Windows. Could this be the issue.

The machine runs great otherwise. I have the SSD partitioned into a C: and D: drive and I can backup all my data (file backup not image copy) on D: no problems.

I checked the alignment and got this:

Partition 1 Primary Size=1199MB Offset=1024MB (SYSTEM_DRV partition)
Partition 2 Primary Size=48GB Offset=1200MB (this is my C: drive)
Partition 3 Primary Size=69GB Offset=49GB (this is D

I also looked for a dmp file but there is no minidump directory in C:Windows, just microsoft.NET then modemlogs.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Maybe Kingston is crap and I need to just go back to Corsair Xtreme like I used before on my other laptop? Is probably a faulty hardware issue or do I just need to reformat it? (Bummer I can't create an image to restore as reinstalling my dozens of apps will take hours!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

It seems to me like the drive is faulty. Here's what I would do:

1. Back up your data just by copying it rather than by a full image.

2. Contact Kingston via one of the email links on this page - Kingston Technology Company - Support - Solid-State Drives

Ask them if they know of problems with imaging their drives and if they have a program that checks their drives for faults (most storage manufacturers do have such a tool - however it wasn't immediately obvious on their site).

Please let us know how you go.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

I caught the BSOD error message at the top when the CHKDSK gets to the sector scan step 4 of 5. It is bad_system_config_info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

Quote:
The BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO bug check has a value of 0x00000074. This bug check indicates that there is an error in the registry.

The BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO bug check occurs if the SYSTEM hive is corrupt. However, this corruption is unlikely, because the boot loader, known as NT Loader (NTLDR) in versions of Windows prior to Vista, checks a hive for corruption when it loads the hive.

This bug check can also occur if some critical registry keys and values are missing. These keys and values might be missing if a user manually edited the registry.
Essentially - the registry is corrupt, but because of protections built into the OS this is unlikely to happen under normal circumstances.

Abnormal circumstances include a faulty drive.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Can I do a file backup of everything on C. Then when I get a new drive and install the O/S could I restore the files so all my apps are installed. It took like 4 hours to install all my apps! Or is it probably best to install everything from scratch?

I'm wondering if the drive may just need to be reformatted. But if that were the case, then it would seem CHKDSK would AT LEAST be able to perform a sector scan? It is odd that the system runs great otherwise. Seems like a faulty drive would be creating all kinds of issues. Or is it like a HDD with bad sectors where you don't notice it until some important system file or app gets written to the bad sectors?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by consultant1027 View Post
Can I do a file backup of everything on C. Then when I get a new drive and install the O/S could I restore the files so all my apps are installed.
That isn't posssible because when most applications are installed they add entries (keys) to the registry so that they can work. As you can see above - the error you have is a corrupt registry. And even if the registry wasn't corrupt, just copying the files across wouldn't work unless you copied the entire OS at the same time (which strangely enough is what imaging does!).

So yes - if the imaging fails, you will have to re-install all your programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by consultant1027 View Post
I'm wondering if the drive may just need to be reformatted.
I would still contact Kingston for the sole reason that they can probably give you a program to check the drive. Peace of mind where your data is concerned is nice; if it's showing problems now, who knows what it will do in future?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ya forgot about the registry. Duh. To bad it is Sat. I'm anxious to get this fixed. Your last comment is what is really on my mind. Even if I could get it resolved or just replaced the drive with a new one, this experience has shaken my confidence in the long-term reliability of this particular model drive. Past experience indicates this type of problem, if it is hardware, is indicative of possibly a flaw in the design or inconsistency in the manufacturing process (a bad batch, etc.) If I got another drive and it did the same thing I'd go nuts. If I have to spend 4 hours troubleshooting with Kingston that is more money lost (time is money and about $90/hr in my case.)

Probably safer to just order a different drive.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

Problem solved. I just took the SSD out and put it in the drive caddy of my other laptop and ran CHKDSK /R. It found two files with a total of 9 bad clusters = total 32K in bad sectors. One file was an .ecb file which is an indexing file, the other one was in system/config/txfr (forgot the file extention) but it is basically a file created any time the registry is modified so the changes can be rolled back if necessary.

It appears that Windows doesn't like to CHKDSK the O/S partition when there are O/S files spanning the bad sectors so you need to mount the drive on another system.

This brings up another issue but I will start a new thread which is regarding Bad Sectors and SSD whether it is common to have a few, if they can be fixed/recovered as opposed to 'hidden' from the O/S, and if you have 32K worth within the first couple days of using the drive is it a very bad sign.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus

Glad to hear you fixed it. Thanks for letting us know.
Closed Thread