Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Can not allocate drive

2K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  pctoxicated 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello forum, I have recently built a new PC and I want to use a Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB. My OS is on an SSD and I am attempting to use the Seagate as a data drive but, I am unable to. The device is detected, and is online, but I receive error message such as "The Device is not ready." and sometimes "The media is write protected." when attempting to format the drive.
http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/thepwnzor1337/qarwegh-1.jpg?t=1348980954
http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/thepwnzor1337/wthwtrjw-1.jpg?t=1348980988
(please ignore that i plugged in an external hard-drive between these two pictures)
I have gone though Seagate's "wonderful" online tech support, and it is horrible. What little help I received was wrong.
Please help, thank you.

#4 ·
Re: Can not allocate drive

I would think a new motherboard and bios ( you said this is a new pc build) would support the 3TB drive. You may want to try the seatools program windows version just to verify the same results you are getting with the dos version if its the same it looks like a possible bad drive.

#6 ·

Turns out it's not a bad drive. I tried a new hard drive with the same results.

Here are my PC specs as well as the same error.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 45 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 32710 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 122001 MB, Free - 47472 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P9X79 PRO
Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated and Enabled

http://i.imgur.com/OlCQC.png
http://i.imgur.com/P3FXo.png

#10 · (Edited)

These are the hardware IDS of the drive.
SCSI\DiskATA_____WDC_WD2002FAEX-01D05
SCSI\DiskATA_____WDC_WD2002FAEX-0
SCSI\DiskATA_____
SCSI\ATA_____WDC_WD2002FAEX-01
ATA_____WDC_WD2002FAEX-01
GenDisk

The unknown device under other devices is a bluetooth plugin I havn't gotten around to updating yet, it is still there with the drive disconnected, but here is the info on it anyway.
USB\VID_0CF3&PID_3000&REV_0200
USB\VID_0CF3&PID_3000

#11 ·

Thats just a bluetooth driver not related nevermind, must say im confused I must say I was thinking firmware issue until you posted you have tried 2 different drives. Is the sata controller your using set to AHCI in the BIOS? Have you upgraded to the latest BIOS?

#12 ·

It is set to AHCI, I have talked with ASUS and they said its a problem with the OS, they said the BIOS is fine the way it is. If I were to reinstall the OS, I could probably do it on the HDD, but that is not the setup I want. Trying to get the HDD for Data drive, restating what i said.

#14 ·

Interesting, I can now allocate the drive. However, this is currently a poor setup for my needs (more like "wants" rather than needs). On my board I have two 6gb/s slots for cache memory ONLY (Not in use, may use in future). Four 3 gb/s connections. And two 6 gb/s slots for whatever. I WAS going to put both of my HD's in the 6 gb/s slot. That leaves the 3 gb/s slots, one for the CD drive, one for a SATA blug on the case, and two free slots.

I am going to allocate the drive with having the 3 gb/s slots occupied. I will then attempt to switch them back to the 6 gb/s after formatting is complete.

Will post results soon.

#15 ·

If your drives were in sata 3 gigabit ports and there 6 gb drives that could create problems unless the limiting jumper is set to 3gb mode. Pretty sure that problem has been eliminated by now was more a problem in the days of 1.5gb drives in 3gb/s ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.