Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Black screen white cursor

7K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
I have been working on a HP Compaq V5000 laptop with Windows XP Pro. I did a system recovery from the d drive a few weeks ago and was waiting for owner to pick up but decided to check it again and it booted to windows then shutdown saying could be hardware failure. Which is what I was told it did the first time. It now comes up to the Compaq screen with f2, f10 or f12 options. if I press f12 I get the message PXE_E61 Media Test Failure, Check cable & PXE-M0F Existing PXE ROM. If I don't press anything it goes to black screen with flashing white cursor in upper left corner. I can get into BIOS to change boot order and set it to boot from cd drive. I inserted a Windows XP installation disc and it would not do anything , just flashing cursor. I ran a System Medic emergency boot cd which ran showing things I don't know what they mean. I have tried to attach a pic I took of it.
Is this a hard drive failure or something more. I can replace the hard drive but want to be reasonably sure that's the problem. The laptop is old and don't want to invest a lot of money. Any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Black screen white cursor

PXE_E61 Media Test Failure,
This means that the computer has looked to the first boot devices (CD rom drive, HDD) and did not find a boot file, so it went to NIC card to boot from the Network, and that failed. This probably means the HDD has failed.
Download the ISO image for Seatools or Drive Fitness in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and Advanced tests on the HDD to test the integrity of the drive.

#5 ·

It finally got to the license agreement screen and had I accept highlighted. Pointer was now showing but couldn't move it so pressed enter to accept and it stayed on that screen for over half an hour so I closed it. Had an adapter to check hard drives on desktop pc so I tried that and it installed drivers but did not show in My Computer. Does this mean it's the hard drive bad and not motherboard?

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here I go again.....first, let me apologize for my ignorance! I tried the Sea Tools again and was more patient, got to this screen saying could not find parameters drive 01.
Then got to License agreement screen again, same as the Legacy....can't figure out how to accept to go on. Pointer won't move, arrows don't work and pressing enter does not work. What do I do? Here are pics of both screens.

Ran the Drive Fitness Test also and it showed no devices. Is it the hard drive bad then and not motherboard???

Ran Primary HDD Self Test from BIOS and first time I tried got message that no IDE device found. Restarted and tried again and for the Short Test, status was Diagnostics not supported and for Long test, the status showed failed.

Burned an Ububtu disc and could run it from the cd but not install it. Is that another indication it's the hard drive and not motherboard?

Latest try.....swapped hard drives with a working laptop and got blue screen about shutting down to protect pc when installing good hd into V5000 laptop. Pic below. When installing V5000 hd into working laptop got black screen with white cursor in upper left corner as in V5000 laptop. Hard drive AND motherboard bad????

Attachments

#7 ·

Long test, the status showed failed.
swapped hard drives with a working laptop
Your original HDD has failed, confirmed by the tests you have run. As far as putting a HDD from another computer in this laptop; When Windows installs on a computer it looks to that computers chipset and Motherboard and loads drivers specifically for that computers hardware. If you remove the HDD and place it into a different computer, when you start the computer, Windows looks for the previous hardware and doesn't find it and then BSOD's. You will need to put in a blank working HDD and and Install Windows on that in this computer. Or if you want to use the HDD from the other computer, you will have to run a Repair Install
If you want to test your old HDD one more time, you can pull it out of the computer, as you have, and attach it to a USB Adapter or enclosure and power it up. If the drive does not power up, or it is clicking, then the drive has failed, and as stated, needs to be replaced.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help. I ordered an enclosure and will test the drive and if it shows bad also, get a new drive.

Got enclosure and tried drive, still did not show up so ordered a new hard drive. Installed it and reinstalled windows from the original recovery discs made when first purchased laptop. In the process of uninstalling crapware and installing updates. Can't connect wireless yet but think will be able to after all the updates are installed. Hoope so or will be posting again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.