Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] bad drive or malware?

898 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  snglnluvnit 
#1 ·
I have a seagate 750gb sata installed in 3 week old HP Pavillion. Seagate Diagnostic tools does not see the disc. When I hook the drive to another machine via USB adapter that machine also does not see it. The drive, when turned on, will make clicking noises along with humming sound. At one point the drive did not show up in the bios of the original machine. Then when it did, I could not run the "diagnostic software" that HP has on drive. Also when it is seen in bios, I can not run any self tests, Long or short, it says that they (the tests) are not supported. So after speaking with an HP support person for an hour, he tells me that the drive is infected with a virus, and that HP will not help me. I do not believe this is the case, cause I am not aware of any "malware" that will not let another machine see the drive, or let Seagate Diagnostic's see the drive. Any suggestions/help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

Scott

#3 ·
Re: bad drive or malware?

UPDATE!! I put in another drive into the machine and checked to make sure that system is set to boot from DVD/CD first, and put in a Win7 disc, and it won't boot from the Rom drive. Is it possible to have a BIOS virus that would not let it boot from Rom drive?? If this question belongs into another area/forum please let me know and I'll repost there. Thanks, Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.