Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Assistance in Copying from old to new HDD

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Assistance in Copying from old to new HDD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I bought a Dell XPS 1530 back in June (arrived in July) because I am required to have it for

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I bought a Dell XPS 1530 back in June (arrived in July) because I am required to have it for school. Anyways, at the time that I customized it, I just got the 160GB 7200RPM drive for it, with the intent of upgrading it at a later point.

Well, after installing about 4 different programs for my various Architecture classes (among other things), I am down to roughly 35GB on my hard drive.

I haven't purchased a new one yet, but I want to soon, and I was looking at a Seagate Momentus 7200.3 (320GB, 7,200RPM Hard Drive), and I'll most likely get that one.

Anyways, my problem that I need help with is getting a reliable and cheap (preferably free) way to copy my current hard drive in its entirety directly onto the new one (without the use of CDs/DVDs). My laptop came with a 136GB partition, a 10GB recovery partition, and also has Dell Media Home Direct or whatever it's called. Anyways, I want to copy the hard drive as is to the new one, but replace the 136GB partition size to a 296GB (or whatever the maximum size available will be).

Also, can anyone recommend an external enclosure for my current hard drive so that I can use it as a backup drive?

(Laptop Specs are in "My System")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

https://www.techsupportforum.com/cont...ticles/47.html

Old 01-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

That looks pretty much like what I'm looking for. One thing that I did not see specified in that tutorial was whether or not copying the drive would copy the partitions as-is from my current drive to my new one, or if I could specify to increase the main partition size to use the full capacity of the new drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you can change the size of the partition in vista from disk management

Old 01-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Oh ok, thanks!

I'll grab the hard drive (changed my purchase WD Scorpio Black) and I'll report back here to make sure it all works as planned.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

My hard drive arrived tonight, and I have an external enclosure that I purchased with it. It's all working as far as I can tell. Since I bought the hard drive as an internal hard drive, I'm assuming that it is completely empty, and it won't be read when I plug it in like a flash drive would? Or should it be.

I'm double-checking because I put the new hard drive into my external enclosure, and plugged it into my computer through the USB port, and it says it's installed and ready to use, but doesn't show up in My Computer.

Will it not show up until it's formatted with something?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Go to disk management and create a partition and format the drive NTFS.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Yea my buddy showed me where to find that option.
It's currently "Not Initialized".

I'm not sure what the last partition on the current hard drive is (Outlined in red - corresponding description above graphic). I assume one of the two unidentified partitions (94MB and the 2.5GB ones - first and last in the graphic) were the Dell Media Center application.

I was assuming I would be able to clone the current hard drive to the new one, and then just increase the main partition (C:\ Drive), but my friend tells me that I can only increase the last partition in the list (the graphic list towards the bottom of the pic).

Should I format it even though I'll be copying the old one to this one?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Using xxclone not sure, I prefer driveimageXML and use the disk to disk copy, seems to be a bit more straightforward, shouldn't need to format and initialize it if you are cloning the drive. In any case check the documentation for whatever cloning tool you are going to use, it should specify how that piece of software wants to see the target drive.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Can you verify that I'll only be able to increase the size of the last partition in that list? Or can I increase all of them regardless of where they are in the list?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

A google search returns this https://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/1...windows-vista/ and this https://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/...-windows-vista haven't done it myself but then again I also don't have any Vista machines to support LOL....
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

You cannot use XXCLONE with vista as you will not get a Bootable drive.
Acronis True Image home will work but it is not free
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

I have some program that my buddy just used for the same thing that I'm about to do (he bought a 500GB, 5400RPM drive and cloned his old one to his new drive that was unallocated as mine is now). I'm not sure what the program is called, but on the CD he gave me he labelled it "DC Cloning Software // For Cross-Platform"
Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

When using unfamiliar software for this type of Operation and you have Files that you don't want to loose their is three rules to follow.
1. Backup
2.Backup
3,BACKUP
Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Well said Kodi!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
Registered Member

My System

Sounds good, it's getting late, and I haven't done it yet (got coerced into a game of Left 4 Dead) so I'll probably wake up in the morning and do it.

I'll post whether or not it's a success and whether or not I lost anything important. :)
Old 02-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #17
Registered Member

My System

Alrighty, well, I copied the hard drive using Clonezilla, and it works just fine. However, it won't let me extend the volume. It says it will change it from a basic drive to a dynamic drive, and then even if I click "Yes" it says this operating system doesn't support dynamic disks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I deleted the final partition on the cloned drive (the 2.5GB partition - it's the Dell Media Direct program thing that I never use) and it then let me do it just fine.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #18
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

glad you have it sorted

Closed Thread