Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Adding a third hard drive?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Adding a third hard drive? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Well I been meaning to ask this for awhile, I wanted to add a third hard drive (If its possible).

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Well I been meaning to ask this for awhile, I wanted to add a third hard drive (If its possible).

here's the Computer specs

Operating System
Windows 8 Pro 32bit

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (2.40Ghz)
Venice 90nm Technology

RAM
2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR

Motherboard
MS-7139 (Socket 939)

Graphics
512MB ATI Radeon HD 5450 (Diamond)

Hard Drives
75GB Western Digital WDC WD800BB-22JHA0 (PATA)
75GB Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 (PATA)

Audio
C-Media PCI Audio Device

PSU
650W Dell XPS 600

Now the thing is I have 2 hard drive's already in it. And I have 2 cables running from my MB
Both IDE, Now the thing is one cable has to hook ups on it and they are both hooked to the already existing hard drives.
And I have the other one thats has two IDE hook ups on it. One is hooked to the disk drive and one is free.
I want to hook a 250GB hard drive to it as extra storage. Would I have to do anything important? I know I have to set the Jumper on it to slave? right?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Yes, set the new drive's jumper to "slave" and attach it to the middle connector on the data cable. You may have to replace the PSU to cope with the extra drive but that depends on how powerful the existing PSU is - it may already be powerful enough for another drive.

EDIT: I just noticed your PSU is 650w so that should be okay, I say "should be" because I don't know what your system consists of.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Alright thanks I got it, It works. Last time I tried it didn't work... Probably because I tried when I had some crappy PSU...
I'm sure my PSU can handle the extra hard drive. All I do is some mild gaming and The PSU I have is one from of Dell's XPS Gaming Computers. I will say it looks awkward on how its hooked up... But it does the job :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Enthusiast

Glad you got it sorted. Just a question since I see you've got Windows 8 - what's your verdict on it so far as regards usability - especially with a mouse? I've read and heard that it's a bit "clunky" to use with a mouse and I would hate to have to use a touchscreen (which is primarily what Windows 8 was designed for). I don't fancy having fingerprints all over my monitor screen, and I just find a mouse more precise and intuitive anyway.

Your comments on Windows 8 would be most welcome. PM me if you prefer (a PM is probably more appropriate anyhow).

Regards

Phil
Closed Thread