Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid State Drives

979 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  greenbrucelee 
#1 ·
Has anyone made the switch from spinning HDD to Solid State?

I know a few years back the ones on the market were horribly unreliable and causing all sorts of issues, wondering if they have made any improvements? Curious to know b/c the costs of SSD's almost match HDD's in the current market, but you would need to buy a special mounting bracket and cables to hook up the 2.5 drive for a 3.5 normal HDD bay

Any thoughts, reviews, links are apreciated

#4 ·
I made the change on a netbook I bought last summer . . incredibly fast boot times and I don't have to worry about drive damage when moving around with it.

The costs is the biggest barrier . . even though the spinners have soared lately, the cost is still really high

#6 ·
made the switch last week and am so glad I did! I went with this one

Newegg.com - Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

at the time it was $165 with a $15 rebate. more than I wanted to spend but it's a business expense ;) I did a lot of research and as stated most of the issues have been resolved with firmware updates. mine shipped with the newest firmware.

this thing is fast! it loads the following programs in about 2-3 seconds max: photoshop, quickbooks, sony vegas, lightroom, wavelab. my old 8mb cache seagate would take anywhere from 5-15 seconds to load some of those and this is on a a sata 2 mobo from 2007 (latest bios from 2009)!! can't wait to see how it runs on sata 3!

no regrets at all here!

#8 ·
If you have the cash, then you should definitely get it. You're computer will boot up much faster and your programs will open much quicker.

As for the mounting bracket, some SSDs come with one and some don't, but the brackets only cost about $5-$10.

I've been using my SSD for about 1.5 years now, and I haven't had any problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.