Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Slow boot on restart and network adapter problems

This is a discussion on Slow boot on restart and network adapter problems within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone. I have a series of problems which I think base from my SSD. I have a samsung evo

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone. I have a series of problems which I think base from my SSD. I have a samsung evo 850 250gb and there seems to be a few problems with booting etc. Keep in mind I have Windows 10 64 bit with i7 4970k and gtx 970, 16gb ram

So, the symptoms are as follows.

First, one day I restarted the PC and it would say "Select boot device". I had to shut it down for it to boot. When I was restarting it, it would just say the same. When I was restarting my PC it would sometimes boot normally, and sometimes it would display the "boot device" message.

Then, the boot device symptom kinda stopped happening but the boot would be very slow after restart. Like 3-4 minutes slow. If I was shutting the PC down completely from inside the windows, the boot would take about 2-3 seconds. I tried shutting the PC down by pressing the power buttong for 5 seconds and it would again take 3-4 minutes to boot.

So, next in line is the network adapter problem. The PC, after waking up from sleep mode would not be able to start the adapter. It had a red X next to the wireless icon and wouldnt detect any networks. I had to restart the PC for the problem to fix.

Lately, the network adapter would not have a problem after sleep mode, but it would have the red X after a restart.

I scanned the PC with malwarebytes, made sure the SSD was not full, downloaded samsung magician, health is good and firmware is the latest. Any ideas on what might be causing the problems?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Do you have any other Mass Storage Drives attached to the computer? (ie) USB HDD, Flash Drive, Card Reader, Camera or Phone. Please disconnect all peripherals to diagnose.
Download Crystal Disk Info, this will be able to tell you the health of the SSD.
Also download Samsung Magician, this too will tell you the health of the drive and be able to update the Firmware, and to Optimize the drive fully.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Do you have any other Mass Storage Drives attached to the computer? (ie) USB HDD, Flash Drive, Card Reader, Camera or Phone. Please disconnect all peripherals to diagnose.
Download Crystal Disk Info, this will be able to tell you the health of the SSD.
Also download Samsung Magician, this too will tell you the health of the drive and be able to update the Firmware, and to Optimize the drive fully.
Thanks for the reply. No extra storage devices. As I said, I downloaded Samsung Magician and everything is perfect. Im not sure what could be causing the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2018, 12:15 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Great,but, In Magician, did you update the Firmware? Did you Optimize the drive?
Did you download Crystal Disk Info for a second opinion?
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot Tab, make sure the SSD is the First Boot Device, if not move it there.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Great,but, In Magician, did you update the Firmware? Did you Optimize the drive?
Did you download Crystal Disk Info for a second opinion?
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot Tab, make sure the SSD is the First Boot Device, if not move it there.
Everything is good on the magician. Latest firmware and I optimised the drive. Crystal Disk also looks alright. Boot sequence is good too. Done all of the "simple" things I could
Old 04-05-2018, 05:13 AM   #6
Registered Member

EDIT: Cant edit my last comment so Ill comment here. Seems that my boot option was a bit different. I put the SSD as the first boot option. However, the problems persists. Now I have a new one. Almost everything in the PC changed. Keyboard languages, default programs, it reinstalled some programs like onedrive etc. What could have caused it? Thanks

Edit: Also can't open images. It says "You'll need a new app to open this ms-paint". All the files are still on my ssd, can find them on Users--> Username--> desktop but they are not on my actual desktop
Old 04-06-2018, 12:40 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Your user profile may have become corrupted, and Windows could not load it, so, it loaded a Default Profile so you could log in.
If you can't login to your regular profile, then Create a New User with Admin Privileges, Log out of the profile you are in and login as the new user
Make sure Hidden Files are being shown, browse to C:\User\[OldUserName] Copy your User files to the new Profile https://www.techbout.com/fix-corrupt...ndows-10-9139/