Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Should I Backup

This is a discussion on Should I Backup within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok I have a couple of issues that maybe someone can clue me in on. I am trying to switch

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Xp Pro 64 & 7 Ultimate 64 Dual Boot, Thinking of adding a Linux boot as well.

Ok I have a couple of issues that maybe someone can clue me in on.

I am trying to switch over to AHCI from ATA/IDE.... thats a huge problem in and of itself. I need to in order to use all my SATA ports on my motherboard. Lets just say I have had to pull the bios battery a few times. Not sure if this should be under Bios/Motherboard issues but I figured I would give it a try here. Sorry if I doublepost but I haven't been able to find much info.

My questions are:

1) I have a 32GB SSD that will have 7 on it, a 40GB HDD that will have XP in dual boot, and a thrid 1TB HDD that is my Data Drive. Now if I somehow find a way to switch over to AHCI sucessfully will I be able to access the information on my sotrage drive or should I back all of it up first which is around 500GB's? I only have 4.7GB dvd as a medium for backing it up and I am not looking forward to burning 50 dvd's. I'm really hoping that I can just plug it in somehow and call it good when all the heavy lifting is done.

2) Will I be able to use my IDE cables to hook up IDE devices later on if I switch to AHCI or will it completly disable all IDE devices?

3) This one is a head scratcher for me. For some reason I can not boot from my Sata Dvd Drives even if bios is configured to when I switch to AHCI, so I can't reinstall windows. It will boot straight to windows then crash. If I try to access the bios it just hangs up with a message stating that the AHCI Drivers have loaded succesfully and shows me a list of all my Installed drives. I have to pull the battery in order to reset the bios and get back into my computer. Does anyone know how to get around this?

Many thanks in advance.

Added info: I have read alot about editing the registry, but that to me seems to crate more problesm than it fixes from what I have read, so that is not a option for me at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
Registered Member

OS: Xp Pro 64 & 7 Ultimate 64 Dual Boot, Thinking of adding a Linux boot as well.

Issue solved... I finally gave up searching and just tried the registry edit. I haven't had any problems at all.

No lost data. OS works fine, and I have access to all my SATA Ports now.

Not sure if I am supposed to link to other sites or not but I like to give credit to others work. For anyone interested here is the link. https://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/

Ultimatly it looks like I ate my own words on not wanting to mess with the registry. This was a fast simple solution to my problem that I spent two day trying to avoid.

Now to see if I can still use IDE devices, and if I can still install XP on a dual boot drive.
Closed Thread