Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Seeing harddrive in BIOS ... yet HD fail - PLEASE HELP!

This is a discussion on Seeing harddrive in BIOS ... yet HD fail - PLEASE HELP! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I just pluged in a slave harddrive that I'm trying to get data off of. When I go into

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #1

Red Faced

Hello, I just pluged in a slave harddrive that I'm trying to get data off of. When I go into bios it picks it up (you can see the size and all that other info). Yet the title is "None" and when I start I get " Primary slave fail" and I can't access the drive.

Someone please reply!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
What OS are your running (win version )

regards

joe
Old 07-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
retired

Quote:
Yet the title is "None" and when I start I get " Primary slave fail" and I can't access the drive
Assuming you have properly setup the bios, both drives jumpers, and have a good cable then this means the drive controller is not identifying itself properly to bios. The drive identifies itself to bios with make and model, if anything other than the correct model is given then it's an indication that the firmware is corrupted or contoller electronics failure.

Go to the manufacturers website for a diagnostics program to check the drive or list the make and model number here.

If the data is critical to recover then there are companies that do data recovery services (many have free appraisal). If you are considering this as an option then don't do any further test on the drive as it may create futher problems for recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

if the drive is NTFS file sytem formatted (win xp & 2K) and youre bringing it into a win 98 or ME system / they wont be able to read a ntfs file system drive ????

what are the OS of the old drives system and what is the OS of the new drive's system ?????

joe
Old 07-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
retired

Quote:
" Primary slave fail"
That's a bios error message. The operating system hasn't been loaded at this point so it's not a compatibility issue.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:34 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Thanks Stu:

I didnt catch that one !

joe
Closed Thread