Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Seagate ST3000DM001 3 TB PCB Issue

This is a discussion on Seagate ST3000DM001 3 TB PCB Issue within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Seagate ST3000DM001 3 TB PCB Issue Hi, I have a Seagate ST3000DM001 3 TB SATA hard drive (I'll refer to

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Seagate ST3000DM001 3 TB PCB Issue

Hi,

I have a Seagate ST3000DM001 3 TB SATA hard drive (I'll refer to it as Drive A). When I switch on power, PCB (100664987 REV B) gets very hot and drive does not spin. I bought another working hard drive (I'll refer to it as Drive B) with same Model, PN and Firmware. However SN, Date and Site are different from Drive A. I took out Drive B's PCB and fitted in Drive A. But it didn't work. Then, I swapped the 8-pin BIOS chip from Drive A's PCB to Drive B's PCB using heat gun. But, to no avail.

I have noticed that the BIOS chips on both drives are not identical. I was expecting identical chips but the one on Drive A is "cFeon S40-75GIP" whereas Drive B has "Winbond 25040XXXXX 1306". Does that make any difference?

Now I have 2 situations.

1) I have Drive A with Drive B's PCB having Drive A's BIOS chip (cFeon) on it. In this case, there is no sign of life so far.

2) I have Drive B with Drive A's PCB having Drive B's BIOS chip (Winbond) on it. In this case, PCB gets very hot after I power on Drive B.

Definitely, I want to recover data from Drive A. But the newly swapped board won't power up. On the other hand, Drive B has Drive A's PCB but it is at least signalling (by heating up) that there is something in it.

I have also come across many posts on TVS diodes relating to power issues. I can't see anything burnt on both boards. Should I try something like that?

I have highlighted two TVS diodes (In my opinion, please correct me if I am wrong) with red and yellow colors in first image.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

I am on my 18th one of these disks now, just srap it and use it as a paper weight they only have a working life (running hours) of 2,400. thats right not 30k+ but only 2,400. they are not worth wasting money on. Even Seagate told me "The drives are not meant to be used for more than an hour a day average, they are to be used as backup medium only" so when i asked them what the hell is meant by the adverts for these drives being suitable for home NAS enclosures they responded "We cannot and will not comment on that". My solictor is currently actively investigating these claims verses the "usable" time. if you have a home NAS i suspect you would use it for more than an hour a day ....
sorry about the failures you have had
Old 11-11-2014, 04:01 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cummings View Post
I am on my 18th one of these disks now, just srap it and use it as a paper weight they only have a working life (running hours) of 2,400. thats right not 30k+ but only 2,400. they are not worth wasting money on. Even Seagate told me "The drives are not meant to be used for more than an hour a day average, they are to be used as backup medium only" so when i asked them what the hell is meant by the adverts for these drives being suitable for home NAS enclosures they responded "We cannot and will not comment on that". My solictor is currently actively investigating these claims verses the "usable" time. if you have a home NAS i suspect you would use it for more than an hour a day ....
sorry about the failures you have had
I have experienced much the same with these drives. Having ordered 50 for a company, all but TWO have failed within 6-8 months of installation.

My current policy is to use only Western Digital drives. Their warranty return policy is also much more friendly in the event of a failure. ALL HDD's will fail eventually, but I expect more than 2400 hours (100 days in my application running 24/7) of service from a HDD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

@waqasdanish, you have correctly identified the TVS diodes.

Here is a similar board:
https://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD...0DM001_TVS.jpg

There is a pair of zero-ohm resistors near the SATA power connector. They should measure 0.0 ohms, or close enough. Your boards have 4 such resistors in a row.

ISTR that a forum member (michael chiklis) at HDD Guru did post about a compatibility issue between Eon and Winbond flash memories. However, the drive's serial terminal log reported a ROM checksum error, IIRC. I'm not certain, though.

I would check the onboard supply voltages (Vio, Vcore1, Vcore2, Vneg).

ST2000DM001 damaged electronics : Conventional hard drives - Page 2

If all checks out OK, then I would obtain a terminal log. Let us know if you get this far.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

@fzabkar, thanks for your suggestions. I am not an electronics expert but I checked the four zero-ohm resistors with multimeter. The meter beeps (sign of continuity?) and resistance measured for each of the four resistors is close to zero ohm. And this holds true for both PCBs in question.

I am not sure about TVS diodes but I think that yellow one is +12V and red one is +5V. Am I right? How can I test the TVS diodes?

As far as checking the onboard supply is concerned, can you please provide some detailed instructions because I could not understand much by reading the thread you provided.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Registered Member

You say that you fitted the donor PCB with its original donor ROM to the patient drive, but that this "didn't work". What do you mean exactly? Did the drive spin but fail to give you access to your data, or was it completely dead?
Old 11-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

I tried 2 things for patient drive with DONOR PCB.

1) I fitted donor PCB to the patient drive with DONOR ROM. The drive didn't spin at all.

2) I fitted donor PCB to the patient drive with PATIENT ROM. The drive didn't spin at all.

--------------------------

The problem to PATIENT PCB is that it heats up to dangerous temperatures very quickly and drive does not spin at all.
Closed Thread