Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Seagate IronWolf NAS HDD 4TB issue on surface book windows 10

This is a discussion on Seagate IronWolf NAS HDD 4TB issue on surface book windows 10 within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm not sure if this issue relates to windows 10 itself or the drive so please forgive me if this

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
  • 2 Post By Stancestans
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dylan151 Send a message via Skype™ to dylan151

I'm not sure if this issue relates to windows 10 itself or the drive so please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section.

Hello I am having issues accessing a 4TB NAS HDD on my surface book laptop running windows 10. The drive is housed in a mediasonic probox 2 bay enclosure and accessed via usb 3.0.

The drive was formatted to NTFS on a raspberry pi using GParted and files were copied to it from an older HFS+ 3.0 TB drive using rclone. The drive/partition is detected and works on 3 different computers (Linux, macOS, and a different windows 10 desktop) but for some reason is not detected on the surface book. Sometimes a disk will show up in this pc but the green loading bar will slowly progress in file explorer and sometimes its not even available in the built-in disk partitioner in windows.

How can I solve this issue? why would it only be one computer that is affected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
files were copied to it from an older HFS+ 3.0 TB drive using rclone
When you use clone a drive from one drive to another, it takes the same file system. So, you may have initially formatted the drive NTFS. But since cloning it with rclone from an HFS+ drive, the format would change to HFS+ which is not readable on a PC.
I would Format the drive NTFS on a Windows PC. Then take it back to the drive you cloned. And copy the files to the NTFS drive.
dylan151 likes this.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
When you use clone a drive from one drive to another, it takes the same file system. So, you may have initially formatted the drive NTFS. But since cloning it with rclone from an HFS+ drive, the format would change to HFS+ which is not readable on a PC.
I would Format the drive NTFS on a Windows PC. Then take it back to the drive you cloned. And copy the files to the NTFS drive.
Does rclone clone the drive? AFAIK it just copied the files I needed on the new drive? If it did make the NTFS drive HFS+ it wouldn't have been read on the other windows 10 computer I metioned.

side note: I did a chdsk on the other windows 10 pc and it now works on the surface book. I'm not sure why it didn't work before or if i'll have any issues later but for now it seems to be working.

Would anyone have any idea why this happened? or if I should do any tests on the harddrive.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

edit: maybe i spoke too soon. After sfafely ejecting the drive, updating my surface and restarting the drive is no longer detected by my computer. It is still detected and fully fucrional on my other win10 desktop
Old 05-17-2020, 01:28 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Your Surface Book is most likely having a hardware problem as far as its USB connectivity goes. Try the other USB port. If you have another external HDD, try it in both ports.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Your Surface Book is most likely having a hardware problem as far as its USB connectivity goes. Try the other USB port. If you have another external HDD, try it in both ports.
Thanks for the reply I'll give this a try when I get home from work.

I do have a wireless adapter plugged into the other port that is working and I've tried a USB flash drive in the port that also works

I'll give another external HDD a try later today
Old 05-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan151 View Post
Thanks for the reply I'll give this a try when I get home from work.

I do have a wireless adapter plugged into the other port that is working and I've tried a USB flash drive in the port that also works

I'll give another external HDD a try later today
The wireless adapter and flash drive are low-power devices, so they don't put a lot of strain on the Surface Book's USB power delivery, unlike external HDDs, especially those with USB 3.x interfaces. One of the two USB 3.0 ports on my HP ProBook has problems with my external HDDs exactly the way yours behaves, but works just fine with mice, flash drives and other low-power usb devices. Sometimes the HDD makes a successful connection, but operates at a low-speed mode (USB 2.0 speeds) and Windows gives a toast notification of the same. I've even had a couple if BSODs because of it, so I stopped connecting HDDs to it. It stays unused most of the time, and I can't risk data corruption on the HDD as a result of its instability. The other working port is right next to it! I haven't had the time yet, but I will have a close inspection of its solder joints and state of the contacts inside, give them a thorough cleaning in case it's a dirt coating that's messing up the conductivity of the contacts. Sometimes that is all it takes to restore proper functionality.
dylan151 and bassfisher6522 like this.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
The wireless adapter and flash drive are low-power devices, so they don't put a lot of strain on the Surface Book's USB power delivery, unlike external HDDs, especially those with USB 3.x interfaces. One of the two USB 3.0 ports on my HP ProBook has problems with my external HDDs exactly the way yours behaves, but works just fine with mice, flash drives and other low-power usb devices. Sometimes the HDD makes a successful connection, but operates at a low-speed mode (USB 2.0 speeds) and Windows gives a toast notification of the same. I've even had a couple if BSODs because of it, so I stopped connecting HDDs to it. It stays unused most of the time, and I can't risk data corruption on the HDD as a result of its instability. The other working port is right next to it! I haven't had the time yet, but I will have a close inspection of its solder joints and state of the contacts inside, give them a thorough cleaning in case it's a dirt coating that's messing up the conductivity of the contacts. Sometimes that is all it takes to restore proper functionality.
i'm going to try a fresh install of windows on this surface book. Its weird it might be the usb port but it could also be windows. I tested the port using ubuntu and the drive pops up after 30-60 seconds of plugging it in. The drive itself is encased in a mediasonic pro hdd enclousure that has a power supply. I have another external hdd that i can try out but i'll need to locate the power adapter for it.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

30-60 seconds is quite long.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
30-60 seconds is quite long.
i didn't time it on ubuntu accurately

so back on windows, it seems to be detecting and booting the drive up now (within 15-20 seconds of plugging in the cable in either port). My enclousure does standy when no activity or plugged in so it can take a few seconds to spin back up.

So I don't know what else that could have been wrong? The port could be dying but atm it seems to be working perfectly so I'm not sure but thanks for all your help
Old 05-20-2020, 12:05 AM   #11
Registered Member

OS: Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 19.3 (Primary) Displayed on a Samsung 48" 4K Curved TV

My System

It is possible that the USB port on your surface isn't providing enough power to power the drive.
I assume it's a 2.5" drive. If that's the case you will need a externally powered USB hub to provide the extra power to spin up the drive.
Make sure the USB hub has a 1A or greater power supply.

Also check the device manager to see if there are any driver issues.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visseroth View Post
It is possible that the USB port on your surface isn't providing enough power to power the drive.
I assume it's a 2.5" drive. If that's the case you will need a externally powered USB hub to provide the extra power to spin up the drive.
Make sure the USB hub has a 1A or greater power supply.

Also check the device manager to see if there are any driver issues.
its a 3.5" nas drive in a powered 3.0 enclosure
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

OS: Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 19.3 (Primary) Displayed on a Samsung 48" 4K Curved TV

My System

Well Pooh, that blows that thought out of the water.

Oh! You know what! The difference is likely the 32bit Windows OS on the surface vs your other operating systems which are 64bit.

Double check that, but I'm betting your surface is 32bit.
In the "Control Panel" Open "System" and it'll either say Windows 32 bit or Windows 64 bit
Old 05-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #14
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Well Pooh, that blows that thought out of the water.

Oh! You know what! The difference is likely the 32bit Windows OS on the surface vs your other operating systems which are 64bit.

Double check that, but I'm betting your surface is 32bit.
In the "Control Panel" Open "System" and it'll either say Windows 32 bit or Windows 64 bit
Who's Pooh? Please don't post any more replies to this thread. OP already said the drive is working fine with the Surface Book now. The architecture (bitness) of the OS has nothing to do with it, you're just making wild guesses now. Please try and understand the problem and research your answers (if you can), then consider the information in ALL the replies that have been posted before posting yours.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Who's Pooh? Please don't post any more replies to this thread. OP already said the drive is working fine with the Surface Book now. The architecture (bitness) of the OS has nothing to do with it, you're just making wild guesses now. Please try and understand the problem and research your answers (if you can), then consider the information in ALL the replies that have been posted before posting yours.

Wow, now I'm reminded why I left this forum.

1. I didn't see that it was answered.
2. Check your facts on architecture
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rger-than-2-tb

I was trying to help narrow down the problem, if you don't like help well..............................................................
Old 05-20-2020, 10:18 PM   #16
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Wow, now I'm reminded why I left this forum.

1. I didn't see that it was answered.
2. Check your facts on architecture
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rger-than-2-tb

I was trying to help narrow down the problem, if you don't like help well..............................................................
All help is welcome and appreciated, but not everything goes. Misinformation is corrected, regardless of how you feel about it. Also, jumping in without considering all the information that has been availed in previous relies is exactly what attracts misinformation. If you have a contribution to make, at least go over the thread from the start. Now let's get some facts straight:

The PC is a Surface Book 2-in-1, 8GB memory is the minimum configuration in that family of notebooks, with 64-bit Windows and UEFI firmware.

Perhaps the following https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ws-and-gpt-faq will help you understand better the information on the page you linked to. Since you're back after the such a long time, why not a refresher of the rules here https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...ork&page=rules

Closing this thread now lest it turn into a pointless exchange. @dylan151 feel free to request for the reopening of this thread if you have any further questions on this same issue. You can do so by sending me a private message and I'll gladly oblige.
Closed Thread