Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Seagate External Hard Drive Failure? HELP!

This is a discussion on Seagate External Hard Drive Failure? HELP! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, Tried to read through some threads and see if anyone else had encountered this before, but didn't see

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone,
Tried to read through some threads and see if anyone else had encountered this before, but didn't see anything that was EXACTLY what I'm dealing with.
I have a 3TB Seagate GoFlex Desk drive that has been making some scary clicking noises for a couple weeks now. I bought another drive to back it up about a week ago and managed to get a few hundred gigs of the data copied off of it (slow painful process as I gave the dying drive a lot of breaks when it would start clicking again).
The problem I'm having now is that the drive shows up in Windows Explorer, and I can open the folders to view the files (Though it does tend to "Not Respond" for a few minutes before I'm allowed to do this), but it will NOT allow me to do anything else. I can click on copy or cut, but as soon as I try to paste the files to the new drive, it does NOTHING and I occasionally get an error that the file no longer exists at the specified destination. The other issue that I have is that occasionally I'm also getting a "device not ready" error when trying to open it up to view the files/folders.
I'm not a super tech savvy person, but know enough to get by. The files on this hard drive are VERY important to me (and I know I should've backed them up via some other method...have learned my lesson, believe me)... I NEED to do something to recover these files that isn't going to cost me hundreds of dollars.
Also feel like I should add that this is my 2nd Seagate external hard drive in two years - a similar thing happened to the last one, but I was able to copy all the data off that to the current 3TB drive before it crapped out completely. Needless to say I will NEVER buy another Seagate drive again. The drive I'm trying to back everything up to is a LaCie Porsche 2TB that I got a VERY good deal on.
ANYTHING any of you can recommend would be MUCH appreciated. THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
been making some scary clicking noises
A clicking HDD means it has failed. If you got any data off of it, you are lucky.
You can try some recovery tools, try the Free Test Disk, I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. Of course there are no guarantees with a drive that is clicking (eg) failed.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

you need to try to get an "image" of the failing drive "IF" it can be read at all at this point. This TOOL can create an image it also helps with drives in the condition such as your is. The problem for you is having a drive big enough to hold the 3TB image and it will take a long time to create possibly a few days. With the image we can hopefully recover the data to the 2TB drive. Ask questions if your not clear on anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

If it is a fairly new one, request a replacement. Seagate drives usually have a 1-3 year warranty. They'll replace the drive at no cost to you. DO this only after you've gotten your data off it, though
Old 12-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slc1319 View Post
Needless to say I will NEVER buy another Seagate drive again. The drive I'm trying to back everything up to is a LaCie Porsche 2TB that I got a VERY good deal on.
Lacie don't make hard drives. They buy HDDs and assemble them into their own enclosures.

You could use a tool such as HD Sentinel to identify the drive inside the box. It could very well be a Seagate.
Closed Thread