Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Seagate Barracuda unable to detect on PC

This is a discussion on Seagate Barracuda unable to detect on PC within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Seagate Hard Drive 500GB : S/N:Z2A658XW ST3500418AS P/N:9YP142-304 FIRMWARE: JC4B DATE CODE: 11467 SITE CODE: TK This drive was ok

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 01:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Red Faced

Seagate Hard Drive 500GB :

S/N:Z2A658XW
ST3500418AS
P/N:9YP142-304
FIRMWARE: JC4B
DATE CODE: 11467 SITE CODE: TK

This drive was ok and in working condition, now I have attached it to my PC after 6 months and it's failed to detecting on my PC.

Can somebody help me out? this drive contained my valuable family pictures and videos.

Logic card looking ok, have no sign of burn of any component on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 02:35 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Press the Windows key +X choose Disk Management. in the lower pane, do you see your Seagate drive here? Does it say the file system is Unallocated Space, or at the Disk # (ie) Disk 1, Disk 2 etc does it say it is Not Initialized?
If either of these, there are HDD Recovery tools like TestDisk then can recover the data. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack.
If the drive is Not listed in Disk Management, check the cabling and make sure it is plugged in tight to the back of the drive and to the motherboard. Try replacing the Data cable, try using a different SATA port on the motherboard, try using a different power plug from the PSU. If all fail, restart the computer and boot into Setup (Bios) under System Information. it will list all the drives on your computer, if that drive is not listed in the Bios, it will not be listed anywhere in the computer, it failed and will need to be replaced.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Press the Windows key +X choose Disk Management. in the lower pane, do you see your Seagate drive here? Does it say the file system is Unallocated Space, or at the Disk # (ie) Disk 1, Disk 2 etc does it say it is Not Initialized?
If either of these, there are HDD Recovery tools like TestDisk then can recover the data. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack.
If the drive is Not listed in Disk Management, check the cabling and make sure it is plugged in tight to the back of the drive and to the motherboard. Try replacing the Data cable, try using a different SATA port on the motherboard, try using a different power plug from the PSU. If all fail, restart the computer and boot into Setup (Bios) under System Information. it will list all the drives on your computer, if that drive is not listed in the Bios, it will not be listed anywhere in the computer, it failed and will need to be replaced.
Thank you for replying on my query,

I have check HDD with Disk Management, only working HDD is showing with 3 partitions, faulty drive not detectable in disk management.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
now I have attached it to my PC after 6 months
How do you have it attached?
Old 09-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
How do you have it attached?
Are you plugging this HDD internally to a desktop computer directly to the motherboard? Or are you using a USB-SATA adapter or enclosure? If the later, the adapter/dock/enclosure may be at fault.
If plugging it internally to a desktop computer, have you booted into the Bios to see if it is listed?
Quote:
restart the computer and boot into Setup (Bios) under System Information. it will list all the drives on your computer, if that drive is not listed in the Bios, it will not be listed anywhere
Old 09-11-2019, 12:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Are you plugging this HDD internally to a desktop computer directly to the motherboard? Or are you using a USB-SATA adapter or enclosure? If the later, the adapter/dock/enclosure may be at fault.
If plugging it internally to a desktop computer, have you booted into the Bios to see if it is listed?
This is an internal hard drive and I have plugged this hard drive to my desktop motherboard's SATA cable as always I do.

It is not listed in Bios.

Dear, do you have any other way to revive this drive...?
Old 09-11-2019, 01:08 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I have plugged this hard drive to my desktop motherboard's SATA cable
You also need to plug in the power plug from your PSU.
If a known working Power Plug is plugged in, and a known working SATA Data cable is plugged into the back of the drive and into the SATA Motherboard port and they are in tight, and it's not showing in the Bios, then it has failed. Put your ear next to it while you turn on the computer, do you hear it spin up, if not, it has failed. Try it on another computer to confirm.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vks627 View Post
This is an internal hard drive and I have plugged this hard drive to my desktop motherboard's SATA cable as always I do.

It is not listed in Bios.

Dear, do you have any other way to revive this drive...?
There are 2 cables that have to be connected to the HDD.
1. SATA cable
2. power cable; either a molex (older type), current style 15 pin SATA.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:23 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
There are 2 cables that have to be connected to the HDD.
1. SATA cable
2. power cable; either a molex (older type), current style 15 pin SATA.

Yes, you are right, both the cables plugged properly,

one end of SATA cable plugged to the motherboard and another end to HDD, PSU power cable also connected to HDD. After start PC n it is undetectable...
Old 09-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Unfortunately, it sounds like it's dead. All hard drives will die. The are mechanical with moving parts. Moving parts cause wear. And when that wear becomes great enough, the hard drive can simply no longer perform the task it was designed to do.

Another cause for failure is bumps and bangs. Hard drives are delicate and must be handled accordingly.

One other cause is electro-static discharge which can instantly kill most electronic devices.

If the drive contains stuff you cannot afford to lose, you might try Ontrack. They are not cheap but, they have the expertise and equipment necessary to get the job done. The US government even used them to recover the data from their Space Shuttle Columbia that disintegrated in a ball of fire.

https://www.ontrack.com
Old 09-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

@vks627, you haven't answered the question, does your drive spin up? If it doesn't spin, then the most probable culprit would be the PCB, in which case there may be a simple, no cost, DIY fix.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:15 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzabkar View Post
@vks627, you haven't answered the question, does your drive spin up? If it doesn't spin, then the most probable culprit would be the PCB, in which case there may be a simple, no-cost, DIY fix.

@fzabkar, I am looking for solutions of this HDD, can you please help me out in this matter? as you say "no cost, DIY fix" dear, do you have any fix for this problem...?

Please guide me for the solution...
Old 09-18-2019, 02:05 AM   #13
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
@vks627, you haven't answered the question, does your drive spin up?
Please answer the question :S

Closed Thread