Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SATAII drive

This is a discussion on SATAII drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, The problem below is something i have never, ever, come across and is something that i have found totally

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to MaverickUK

Hey,

The problem below is something i have never, ever, come across and is something that i have found totally unable to resolve. Hopefully someone here may have an idea, fix or possible cause.

I recently bought a SATA Maxtor 250GB internal drive and had set things up fine, with the new drive being C: and my old drive (IDE) slaved up as D:, i have the master as DVD R/W and slave as the HDD on the IDE channel.

It seems all my files and folders on BOTH drives are set to read-only and cannot be changed back via safe mode, admin and giving needed permissions - the problem still exists. I have set the SATAII jumper to 1.5GB/s. Whenever i try remove the read-only, it will just simply put itself back when i close the window (yep, even after setting permissions and doing this on admin account).

The drives still have the same issue when installed alone on the system (i.e. either just SATA or just IDE). I am officially 110% out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.

Nick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #2

Hi Nick,

How did you setup the new drive? Did you clone it?

You might want to consider a Repair Install. Before though, disable simple file sharing and see if you can use the security tab to set the permissions for the C: drive using that.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Will try repair install again when i get home, would you suggest it to be done on both drives? Disabling simple file sharing doesn't seem to help as i tried this the other day, grrr, this issue is next to impossible to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #4

Perform it on your active windows installation and see if it works.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Roaming To Help

Actually, I've just ran a system check and all my folders have somehow lately been set to Read-Only too.

Anyway, I can still change everything but I see no need to.

How did you setup HDD C:?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I'd recommend you ghost your data/photos/docs and start from ground zero.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

i agree back-up your data >>>>> clean install after that
Old 07-13-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The C: drive is slaved to DVD R/W as master. I have now tried four clean installs, yet to no avail - the issues are still present and are even so when just one single drive is connected to the system. I can't write data, chipsets or SP2 to the SATA drive.

I actually forgot to disable simple file sharing last night, i'll give that a shot when i get home.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:13 AM   #9
Roaming To Help

Hi Nick

What I meant is, how did drive C: come about, is it the clone of drive D:? Or a clean install when you purchased the new drive?

When you mention "issues are still present when just one single drive is connected" does that include disconnecting the DVD-RW?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

It is a clean install Kalim and was purchased new. The issue is still present with and without the DVD-RW connected/not connected. I'm very stumped by this and have never heard of it or seen it before.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #11
Roaming To Help

All folders in XP are read only by default, but XP will ignore that attribute. For files, having that attribute is quite weird. I have seen it before, but it was a SATA driver corruption the last time about 2.5 years back now. It seems a SATA drive thing again here.

I don't really know what to advise and haven't searched around yet, no time until possibly later tonight.
Closed Thread