Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA to eSATA enclosure possible with this external drive?

934 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  venn 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I have an old external hard drive. I have stopped using it because of a socket connection problem.
However it can easily be solved by just changing the enclosure.

This is the specs for my external hard drive, according to Firmware Search SEAGATE ST9320320AS 320.0GB Hard Drive SATA300 (9EV134-500)

SEAGATE ST9320320AS 320.0GB Hard Drive SATA300 (9EV134-500)

SEAGATE 320GB SATA 2.5INCH HDD
SATA300 - 5400 RPM - Hard Drive - Original SEAGATE part

I am using Dell XPS L401X.
There is a eSATA-USB combo port (eSATAp).
So instead of just a usb 2.0 enclosure, I am thinking can I change to a eSATA enclosure?

The closest computer shop around my area has only this 2.5" enclosure model.
PB Tech - CASICZ940J : WELLAND ME940J 2.5" SATA to USB2 eSATA ENCLOSURE BLACK COLOUR

I guess this could work?

Thanks!
Venn.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all, I just bought the new enclosure. However it is kind of disappointing. Is that true that I need to provide power supply to the external drive if I want to use eSATA. Bare in mind I have a eSATAp. So every time when I want to enjoy the high speed transfer rate, I will need to plug in another cable (mini usb to usb2.0) to power up the drive. Isn't there an enclosure that doesn't require additional power supply? Similar to Seagate Go Flex, there doesn't require you to power up the external drive. How convenience is that.

I think I will just need a (SATA to eSATAp) cable.
The connector has a normal SATA power + data connector.
I am hoping to get an enclosure that work like this without external power supply. Anyone knows where I can get such enclosure?

The local computer store's salesman aren't very well versed with the tech stuff.
They have been telling me there isn't such cable available. Wrong information.

First Look - Power Over eSATA cable pictured :: TweakTown USA Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.