Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SATA / IDE boot problem

This is a discussion on SATA / IDE boot problem within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Running W7. I have an old IDE drive which had Vista on it and was a boot disc. 160

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi
Running W7.
I have an old IDE drive which had Vista on it and was a boot disc. 160 Gb Maxtor
I now have a 1 Tb WD SATA drive on which I installed Windows 7 on 1 partition.
I have 2 other older SATA drives 250Gb & 300 Gb which get used for backups.
The 250Gb started playing up so I did some tidying up, which included deleting contents of the old Vista partition from the IDE drive. I want to repartition or even remove the IDE but cant. If I remove it PC wont boot.
BIOS Boot order is 1 Harddrive 2 CDROM and Harddrive boot order is 1 IDE 2 SATA 1Tb 3 SATA 300Gb 4 SATA 250Gb If I change this it wont boot.
If I want to repartition the IDE using EASEUS it warns PC may not boot.
I am now concerned that the IDE drive will pack in and I cant boot at all.
Help much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi Richard-Elland,

If you make the SATA 1TB the first boot, the computer still doesn't boot?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi
Yes, It will only boot if the IDE drive is No 1 - anywhere else and it hangs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

The boot loader was installed to the IDE drive since it was probably listed as the first physical device when you installed win7. You could try disconnecting the IDE drive and following these steps
System Recovery Options - Windows 7 Forums
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win7 iso gets code 5 error (will not boot)
I want to install win7 from DVD, but my motherboard (MSI) gives "cannot boot from CD, code 5" error (I gathered from some other posts that certain MBs (MSI included) have problems reading the boot record from CD or DVD. So here is a work-around that I tried: Boot to C: drive with existing XP (on...
Jimro Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 1 03-21-2011 06:19 AM
[SOLVED] Sony Vaio Boot up Problem
Hello Guys I have got my friends sony vaio VPCEE23FX which does not turn on. When I press the power button I get a orange light by the battery and as soon as i let go off power button the light goes away. Same problem with or without battery or power adapter plugged in. What I also tried....
ramdom123 Laptop Support 0 03-07-2011 01:11 PM
Very odd issue concerning dual boot, mbr and swapped drives.
This is kind of convoluted and I'm at a loss for what to do. Short summary: I have 3 drives, let's call them A:, B: and C: My laptop has 2 hard drive bays, I used to have A: installed plus another drive for random storage. Windows 7 was installed on A:. I swapped out the random storage...
sqbsbear Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 4 01-05-2011 12:58 PM
IDE Master Slave woes
Hey, Basically my sister's old Windows XP machine died on us and she wants me to recover some of her data from it. I asked a friend and I was told to replace my current IDE hard drive, which runs as a slave to my disc drive, with my sisters and to boot into my primary Windows 7 disk (SATA...
Fishinev Hard Drive Support 1 01-04-2011 08:45 AM
[SOLVED] Replacing exsisting SATA hard drive problem
My external hard drive recently stopped working. I have found that this due to a problem with the USB chip, so I have removed the hard drive from it's casing and am trying to find out how to get the information from it. My thoughts were to try and connect it to my desktop PC internally where I...
grantrough Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 7 01-03-2011 02:19 PM