Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SATA Hard Drive Not Detected

This is a discussion on SATA Hard Drive Not Detected within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is my first experience with a SATA drive I have an ECS Elite Group KT600 A Motherboard with Sempron

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #1

Trash

This is my first experience with a SATA drive
I have an ECS Elite Group KT600 A Motherboard with Sempron 2200 CPU,
1 gig DDR 3200 memory in two 512k sticks.The hard drive is a Western Digital CavierSE SATA WDC2500JD.The OS is Wndows XP Professional.
I've installed the VIA drivers from boot up on A drive,when it says click on F6.The POSTwill show the hard drive as WDC2500.When I try to boot normally,it boots correctly until I get to the Windows XP logo screen.It finally starts coming up really dim and gradually brightning to normal and that's where the system hangs up.I certainly hope someone can help.I've tried all I know and now I need some help from somone smarter than me! I'm about ready to trash can this high dollar paper weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #2

have you set the OnBoard SATA BOOTROM option to Enable in the BIOS config? having similar problems my self right now with a SATA HD!!!grrr
Something else you may want to check, is that you have also set the Onboard IDE, and not to RAID. This may also have caused problems.
Hope it helps
Old 02-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #3

Trash

Hello NDEMAY,
Thank you so much for the reply.I don't know whether I can explain this where anyone can understand but here goes.This as I said is an ECS mobo.It has an Award BIOS.
In the Integrated Peripherals section it shows
"OnChip IDE Device" and it is Enabled. In the same section is
"OnChip SATA Device" and it is Enabled.This is the only mention of a SATA device in the whole BIOS setup.I have no provision in Setup to set RAID of any kind.I certainly hope this makes some kind of sense.I've built a few computers but I've never run across anything like a SATA drive.Thanks again for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 09:48 PM   #4

...just contributing to SATA HDD installation problems.
I have Hitachi HDS728080PLA380 recognized by BIOS on MSI_K8N Neo4 (AMD64/3000(939);1GBram) but when installing system XP crashes instead of starting to write ini-install files to HDD (msg: "stop: 0x0000007B..."). I had the HDD hooked to my notebook over SATA and it is detected healthy (made even NTFS partition on it and checked by CHCKDSK => all O.K.). I found only "ftool" from Hitachi that I can't get to work at boot up... guess no wonder... I don't have any extra drivers to use ("by F6") when booting to XP (only RAID drivers that I tried to stick in but it wouldn't read them... FDD was detected too and seems to be OK plus I shouldn't need any RAID since I'm installing only one HDD). I've also tried different Linux distros DSM(Knoppix)/SuSE9.1/Gentoo(amd64) but they won't boot at all or SuSE hangs at the same "spot" like XP... I just wanted to install XP first and play with Linux specific drivers later... didn't expect to waste all w/e on this... and no success.
Any suggestion? ...
Thx
_s_
Old 02-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #5

Trash

I'm still not detecting my SATA hard drive.When I use the Windows start up disk.I push F6 when it calls for this on the first disk.I continue through the disks until I get to disk 4.The setup will stop and on the screen it will say push "S" to specify additional mass storage device.The next screen tells me to insert the disk with Manufacturer-supplied hardware support disk into drive A: and press ENTER.The next Screen says to select the SCSI Adapter I want to configure,which is "VIA RAID Controller(Windows XP)" When I select this I get the error message
File \RAID\winxp\viamraid.sys caused an unexpected error (18) at line 2108 in d:xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.
I'm at my wits end.I'm hoping someone, somewhere can give me an answer that will resolve this problem.Thank you.
Closed Thread