Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

sata drive not accessible

This is a discussion on sata drive not accessible within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. What would cause a Sata Internal Hard drive to work on one Operating System but not on another on the

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

What would cause a Sata Internal Hard drive to work on one Operating System but not on another on the same PC? I have a WDC WD10EARS 1tb drive that works normally on windows xp, vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 but on Win 10 it comes up without label as Local Drive M Raw Local Drive. I have tried chkdsk and switching sata ports but nothing changes. Also MS says the drive is the best one. Actually no problem is detectable looking in Device Manager or Drive Manager.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Hard Drive Mode or SATA. Is the Mode set to IDE /Legacy or is it set to AHCI?
If the later, in Windows 10, I would copy all of the data off of the drive. Press the Win key+X and choose Disk Management. If the drive# (ie) Disk 1, Disk 2 etc, says it is Not Initialized, Right click that and Initialize the drive, then right click the Unallocated Space and Create a Simple Volume, and Format it NTFS and assign a drive letter. Then copy back all of the data.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

@archp2008, see the reply by "rogfanther" in the following thread:

View topic - Windows 10 can't see files copied to HDD offline
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Optical Drive can read but cannot write. Logs and screenshot attached.
Hello forum, I am facing issue with burning disk since past few months. I am adding few logs files and brief history of my misery. I have HP Pavilion 15 Notebook with Windows 8.1 64-bit. The optical drive can read but cannot write. Things i have tried so far.
ddda Windows 8, 8.1 Support 4 01-09-2016 01:36 PM
[SOLVED] WD 500Gb HD gone awol
Good Day, It started out with explorer crashing then notebook, I though a reboot would sort it. I could not get back on to the drive, Windows could not run refresh, the usual suspects chkdsk etc I have a second system disk and I used that to get back on. I can see the 500GB drive but it is...
Dylanatstrumble Hard Drive Support 20 11-06-2014 01:07 PM
Want to Build a New Intel or AMD System / Revised 2012 and updated regularly
https://i.imgur.com/puBh9u1.png https://i.imgur.com/TTntwDe.pngPlease note that this post is out of date! Please review our newest and always up-to-date thread here: https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f255/tsf-hardware-teams-recommended-builds-2013-a-668661.html
linderman Building 1 01-11-2010 05:08 AM