Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Replacing my old HDD

This is a discussion on Replacing my old HDD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey y'all, As you can see I still have me old Toshiba L500 satellite laptop: - Intel Core i3 CPU

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey y'all,

As you can see I still have me old Toshiba L500 satellite laptop:
- Intel Core i3 CPU M330 2.13GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 500GB HDD
- Windows 7 Home Premium

Unfortunately, the HDD is starting to come to an end. Not sure how long exactly but I found out some useful info using CrystalDiskInfo. So it seems my HDD has done almost 60,000hours, close to 3,500 restart and 'Health Status' Cautious. It was running pretty slow until I started deleting a lot files and freed up to 100gb and was running better especially copying files, etc.

I have been looking around for a new HDD and stumbled over the new Seagate Firecuda 1tb 2.5-inch. Will have it ready once my old HDD fail. I mainly use my laptop for watching movies and tv programs so not a lot of heavy machinery. Was thinking if I could install the firecuda. What do you think?

Questions;
1. What HDD would you recommend for my Toshiba satellite instead?
2. Could I still use Windows 7 once I install the new HDD?
3. Is there any effective method when installing a new HDD i.e. backup files, reinstall programs?

Would kindly appreciate any advice

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Seagate's okay but I prefer WD Black's 5-year warranty.

Yes, you can still use your same Windows on the new hard drive.

One of the easiest ways to transfer everything from your old still running hard drive onto a new hard drive (or SSD) is with a Apricorn SATA-to-USB Notebook Hard Drive Upgrade Kit - $20.99. Attach the new hard drive to the SATA connector, the USB end to a USB port on your notebook, then install and start up their transfer program. Once it's done transferring everything, replace the old with the new and power back up. That's it, you're done.

No reinstalling Windows, reinstalling all of your programs, getting all of your data files back in the right place, getting everything set back up just the way you had it on the old hard drive. $21 bucks, done.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

OMG! Thanks Spy. Had no idea there was a kit upgrade that makes it heaps easier. Just finished watching youtube and the setup looks easy to use.

I have another question which popped up when watching youtube. I noticed that person bought a SSD 120gb and his HDD had files with almost 500gb. However, when he cloned to the new SSD it used almost 90gb.
- How can this be if HDD is 500gb or I wonder he only used 90gb on his 500gb HDD?
- If my old HDD is RPM 5400, and new HDD is RPM7200 will still work on my laptop?

Just trying to wrap my head around it.

Great, so far I can buy the Upgrade kit and possibly WD Black or SSD.
- SSD: Why so expensive and so little disk space? I think will get the WD Black then.

Not to push it but is there anything else? What do you guys do with the old HDD?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 12:52 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

- Probably the user cleaned up old stuff on the hard drive, if you're a STEAM gamer, games eat up 100 GB of space easy with just 3-4 games, so the user would have switched over data files, such as music, videos, big files to a Data hard disk (secondary) instead of the SSD.
- If you're using a SSD, it does not have RPM, since there are no mechanical functions in a SSD, hence the life expectancy is longer compared to a traditional mechanical hard drive.
- ^ As explained and SSD's I/O throughput is way higher than a mechanical drive. Worth the money although you need to ensure you limit the type of the Applications you install to the SSD. File/Folder Management should be done efficiently to exploit the SSD to it's fullest.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeatme2014 View Post
OMG! Thanks Spy. Had no idea there was a kit upgrade that makes it heaps easier. Just finished watching youtube and the setup looks easy to use.
You're selcome.

Quote:
I have another question which popped up when watching youtube. I noticed that person bought a SSD 120gb and his HDD had files with almost 500gb. However, when he cloned to the new SSD it used almost 90gb.
- How can this be if HDD is 500gb or I wonder he only used 90gb on his 500gb HDD?
Yep, they must have only had 90GB of stuff to move.

Quote:
- If my old HDD is RPM 5400, and new HDD is RPM7200 will still work on my laptop?
Just trying to wrap my head around it.
Yes it'll work, and be a bit faster. Nowhere near as fast as an SSD though.

Quote:
Great, so far I can buy the Upgrade kit and possibly WD Black or SSD.
- SSD: Why so expensive and so little disk space? I think will get the WD Black then.
Years ago, SSD's used to be e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e to make. Now-a-days they're probably priced at whatever the market will bear.

Quote:
Not to push it but is there anything else? What do you guys do with the old HDD?
Data storage. (Backups, pics, music, docs, etc.). On my systems the OS and majority of Program Files go on the SSDs ... so they load faster.

Quote:
Thanks again.
No problem.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
- Probably the user cleaned up old stuff on the hard drive, if you're a STEAM gamer, games eat up 100 GB of space easy with just 3-4 games, so the user would have switched over data files, such as music, videos, big files to a Data hard disk (secondary) instead of the SSD.
- If you're using a SSD, it does not have RPM, since there are no mechanical functions in a SSD, hence the life expectancy is longer compared to a traditional mechanical hard drive.
- ^ As explained and SSD's I/O throughput is way higher than a mechanical drive. Worth the money although you need to ensure you limit the type of the Applications you install to the SSD. File/Folder Management should be done efficiently to exploit the SSD to it's fullest.
I don't have any games on my laptop but lately been watching a lot of TV and MOVIES . So that means they backed up the data files to HDD(secondary)? I get it now. I don't think I have a secondary I can only see one connection slot to my laptop HDD or is secondary also an external HDD plugged into the usb? I see now, that's why PC have more HDD slots and you can keep it separate as you said "OS and Programs on SSD" and videos, pictures files on a secondary HDD or new WD Black.

Hmm maybe I should buy a PC too? I have my laptop connected to a 24inch monitor on my desk in my room which is the reason why I enjoy watching TV in my bed with wireless headphones...gotta make sure no one can hear the sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Yep, they must have only had 90GB of stuff to move.

Data storage. (Backups, pics, music, docs, etc.). On my systems the OS and majority of Program Files go on the SSDs ... so they load faster.
That's what I was thinking. Cool.

Are you guys using a laptop? I noticed some newer laptops have a secondary HDD slot?

I did some looking around and it seems the Kit upgrade is close to $70 on Ebay AUS? Will see if I can buy it on Amazon it seems cheaper than Ebay. Even the WD Black and Seagate Firecuda is cheaper on Amazon. Will report back once I sort it out.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hey guys, not gonna believe this. I did some more youtube vids and saw where you can add a secondary by removing the optical DVD drive. So here is what I am thinking.

Products to buy:
- Apricon Sata upgrade kit
- SSD for OS and Programs
- New HDD either WD Black or Firecuda
- Hard drive Caddy

Works out perfectly because I don't barely use my DVD drive and plus I have an eternal DVD drive plug into usb too

Now I guess it will come down to the price hmm...
Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Yep, that's a hack that's used to ensure that space is not wasted, but be very careful with measurements LxHxW because even half inch makes a huge difference in a laptop and can leave your case open.

So read a lot on the internet and look specifically for someone who has hacked the exact same model of laptop that you have and understand pros and cons before moving ahead.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:31 AM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Yep, I've done that HD-Caddy upgrade a few times now. Mostly Lenovo/IBM ThinkPads and a couple of Dells. They work good. Better use of the space.

I do have a couple of Laptops, couple of Desktops, QNAP Server, 10" tablet, etc. My main computer is one of the Desktops with a couple of 24" 4K IPS Dell monitors. Wife uses a laptop with three 23" IPS monitors (4 total screens). She also has another smaller laptop that she travels with.

As tristar already mentioned, be sure and double-check the height (thickness) of your current hard drive so you don't end up with one that is too tall. I've seen 2.5" SATA HD heights of: 5, 6.8, 7, 9.5 and 15 mm.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
Yep, that's a hack that's used to ensure that space is not wasted, but be very careful with measurements LxHxW because even half inch makes a huge difference in a laptop and can leave your case open.

So read a lot on the internet and look specifically for someone who has hacked the exact same model of laptop that you have and understand pros and cons before moving ahead.
True that. Will make sure have the right measurements. Yeah I went on Toshiba website and the model I have is obsolete? I have the pdf file similar to a manual but not much details. Gonna have to Geronimo to test it once I have it delivered and make sure refund is 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Yep, I've done that HD-Caddy upgrade a few times now. Mostly Lenovo/IBM ThinkPads and a couple of Dells. They work good. Better use of the space.

I do have a couple of Laptops, couple of Desktops, QNAP Server, 10" tablet, etc. My main computer is one of the Desktops with a couple of 24" 4K IPS Dell monitors. Wife uses a laptop with three 23" IPS monitors (4 total screens). She also has another smaller laptop that she travels with.

As tristar already mentioned, be sure and double-check the height (thickness) of your current hard drive so you don't end up with one that is too tall. I've seen 2.5" SATA HD heights of: 5, 6.8, 7, 9.5 and 15 mm.
Wow Spy, that is really hard core. No wonder you're an expert on computers Even your wife has more than one monitor. That's awesome I always wanted to try something similar even to have two monitors but I don't have room on my small desk in my room.

Well I have done my homework and we'll make the order. Probably can only afford a few this week and buy the rest after.

Cheers guys will let you know how I go
Old 01-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #11
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Don't know about expert, just been fiddling with 'em for ... getting close 4 decades now.

You can hang monitors on the wall for ~$12 (USD) each: https://www.amazon.com/Suptek-Articu...KF6SE59RFX62VD They work great.

Best of luck. Keep us posted ...
Closed Thread