Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Replacing 2 internal laptop HDD w/SSD

This is a discussion on Replacing 2 internal laptop HDD w/SSD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am in the beginning stages of potentially replacing my old laptop's 2 internal HDs with SSDs. I have

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I am in the beginning stages of potentially replacing my old laptop's 2 internal HDs with SSDs.

I have attached the manuals and spec sheets from my HP laptop (NOTE: they are all .pdf files but two were over the file limit so I had to zip them). It is 8-9 yrs old and is an HP Dv7-6b32us that is still running excellently (but slower) and had been upgraded a long time ago to W10 from W7.

My cursory research so far has shown that the C: HD is a WD model WD6400BPVT-60HXZT3 which is a SATA 3.0 that is 2.5".

I have started researching potential replacement SSD and I am mostly coming up with ads that specify "desktop PC" but the drives themselves are still described as 2.5" which has left me with a question. Is it irrelevant whether a drive is designated "desktop PC" or "laptop" as long as it is the same type and size?

Does anyone have any really affordable recommendations?

Thank you for all answers.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HP DV7-6B32US Info Sheet.pdf (1.33 MB, 3 views)
File Type: zip HP DV7-6B32US Manual.zip (3.32 MB, 1 views)
File Type: zip HP Pavilion DV7-6b32US Svc Maint Manual.zip (3.09 MB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Besides 2.5" measurement, for it to fit into a laptop, thickness must also be measured.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have put in terms to the effect of "laptop" and "for laptop" with the terms "SATA III" and 2.5" and what I referenced in my original posting when I searched on Google & Amazon but those products referencing "for desktop PC" are what came up. Do you or does anyone have any suggestions to better my search? Do you or does anyone have any good recommendations on good values in laptop SSD?

Thank you,

Wonder Woman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Any 2.5" SSD drives will Work in your laptop, whether it is advertised as for Desktop or not. SATA III is the fastest speed that you want to order. Here is a replacement guide
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03577599

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=2tb+sata+...b_sb_ss_i_1_26
Old 02-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you for that info it was extremely helpful. It confirmed what I was thinking. One would think that it would be counter-productive to sales of products to confuse potential customers by specifying a products designated use inappropriately.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman
Closed Thread