Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement/New HDD is extremely slow and unresponsive

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hi all

I have Compaq Presario F500. I have read all the problams with this laptop about overheating and the wireless cutting out and as it is about 4 years old my laptop is now suffering the same.

My problem is that I have recently swapped out the 80gig Toshiba HDD that came with the laptop with a bigger 320gig Seagate that I have removed from an Iomega external casing. I have a fresh install of Windows 7 and now my laptop is agonisingly and frustratingly slow and unresponsive. It is practically unusable.

I have tried this previously with another HDD about 2 years ago with the exact same results (coincidentally it was also a 320gig HDD but I can't remember the make/model). At the time I had actually dropped the HDD prior to installing it in my laptop and put it's poor performance down to being damaged but now I am experiencing the same results.

Has anybody else experienced any similar problems? Weather on a Compaq or any other make of laptop? Is this a case of my laptop rejecting the new HDD? Is it some kind of settings in Windows 7 perhaps?

Please help me as I am at my wits end with this, it just does not make sense to me that my laptop refuses to be upgraded?!?!?!

See less See more
#2 ·
To add a little more.

I just spoke to my brother who gave me the external HDD, he says that he has never dropped or damaged it. Used but not abused were his words.

I have connected my 80gig HDD back to my laptop and the 320gig back into the external casing and I am copying large quantities of data to and from it (around 5gigs) with no problems.

Both HDD are 5400rpm so don't see any issue here.

I have googled but find nothing with a similar problem.

Please help!!!

#4 ·
Yes, twice actually. I have just completed a third wipe and fresh install and it seems to be working now. I did all the driver installs that are left over from the install manually (however Windows has yet to do its updates). Seems like there was some kind of Nvidia software for that improves drive efficiency that may have been causing the problem, I think it was part of Nvidia Media Sheild software which I chose not to install.

However, it is installed on the old 80gig HDD and that has no problems. I find it strange but maybe this HDD is not compatible with that Nvidia driver or software.

I will continue to monitor it in the meantime as I have yet to install any other software at the moment apart from Avast and Google Chrome and, as above, Windows hasn't performed it's updates yet.

I will revert back if there are any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.