Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Reliable RAID 0 array?

This is a discussion on Reliable RAID 0 array? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had RAID 0 before for speed and it's definitely way faster but because of those flimsy SATA cables that

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I had RAID 0 before for speed and it's definitely way faster but because of those flimsy SATA cables that fall out if you breathe on them well one of the drive's cables fell out and it wouldn't boot, even plugging it back, the array had been cleared from the raid controller and it was a nightmare using software to piece each half file back together.

I was wondering, has anyone yet invented a RAID controller smart enough that when your flimsy SATA cables fall out and you try to boot, it doesn't clear the array so you can simply plug it back in and boot?

If not there's not a chance I'm ever considering RAID 0 until someone invents this essential feature (and/or SATA cables that lock in rather than loosely sort of hold onto the connector).

So does a cable falling out still result in a catastrophic corruption?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Your cables should lock into place. If they do not, they are either not fully inserted or are faulty. I've never had one fall out on it's own. New cables even have a locking tab which must be pinched before you can remove the cable.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost RAID 1 Array
Hi, I have a Windows XP SP3 machine ... it's not a branded PC as it was built for me by a local shop some years ago. It has a pair of SCSI drives which are (were) RAIDed 1. A couple of weeks ago I put my PC into the local repair shop to have a new power supply, processor fan and an extra Gb...
UplandUK Hard Drive Support 1 05-16-2011 09:44 AM
Data Recovery after RAID 5 Failure -Advanced RAID Server Data Recovery
RAID 5 is one of the implementations of RAID used primarily. This array provides data striping at the byte level with parity distributed or interlayer. Due to the availability of error-correcting bandwidth, RAID 5 is a high performance, fault-tolerant system. However, a RAID 5 array can be...
MoNnY Hard Drive Support 0 03-02-2011 02:03 AM
Raid 5 Data Recovery What To Do When Raid Fails
If you're a big corporate house, you must know about Raid 5 data recovery because RAID is a kind of storage commonly seen in corporate high end computers. Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) is a technology that allows multiple disks to divide and replicate data, thus, perform ...
MoNnY Hard Drive Support 0 03-02-2011 01:36 AM
Setting up a RAID Array Without Losing Existing Data
Hey guys, For Christmas, my dad decided to help me get started on getting the RAID array in my computer going by purchasing four Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDDs. The storage drive in my computer is currently a 1TB Spinpoint HDD (with two SSDs booting two Operating Systems). My motherboard, the Asus...
Jpec07 Hard Drive Support 3 01-17-2011 05:00 PM
Creating RAID 0 with SAS hard drives(help!)
I will be installing four SAS type hard drives (Serial Attached SCSI hard drives)into a desktop PC and I will be creating a RAID 0 array. But because they're SAS type hard drives, I will need to use a RAID controller card which I have purchased also since there isn't any motherboard that I know of...
BillyGman Hard Drive Support 3 01-10-2011 11:49 PM