Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

RECUVA requesting more space than HDD

This is a discussion on RECUVA requesting more space than HDD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I needed to restore data on my 500 GB HDD after a (Vista) system problem occurred which forced me to

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

I needed to restore data on my 500 GB HDD after a (Vista) system problem occurred which forced me to reinstall my OS. After 66+ hours of processing, RECUVA (my recovery software) requested that I attach an HDD with a capacity of 2.6 TB (!?!) that it needed to recover my data.

Why would RECUVA request 5 times the amount of space to recover my data (when I never even used all of the original 500 GB) ?!?

Thanks,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

When your system failed, then the data become corrupted. One file may turn into five files.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

I know I have many corrupt (pdf, mp3, txt,...) files. My next issue is to find a way to open them so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Corrupt files will be unreadable. Any files residing on Bad Sectors on your HDD will be corrupt and not readable. Recuva will not be able to make them readable again. There is no software to make a corrupt file readable again.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used space on Newly formatted HDD NEED GONE
Hello A few weeks ago I made a backup of my laptops HDD the next day the HDD died (Seriously Perfect timing, First ever backup). The HDD was about full And the backup was a little bigger. I just got around to buying a new HDD (used off eBay) with the same GB size on the sticker, I then formatted...
JustinMan Hard Drive Support 2 09-27-2014 11:34 PM
Lost HDD space
I received my new HP laptop last Thursday, and I wanted to partition the 750GB HDD into three partitions for use as follows: 1. Windows (~100GB); 2. My Documents (~50GB); 3. My Media (~600GB). Having previously always built my own PCs and therefore partitioned the HDDs before installing Windows,...
GowerOsprey Hard Drive Support 10 06-18-2014 03:07 PM
Question about slack space, wiping out sensitive data
Does slack space exist with files that have not yet been deleted (on used space)? I have someone who has a point of purchase computer that they want to sell. They already deleted sensitive data files (presumably that would have people's credit card info, etc). I would zero wipe and reinstall,...
Blade_Jones Hard Drive Support 0 12-04-2012 02:25 AM
External HDD stopped working
Hello, When I started my laptop yesterday and wanted to listen to some music, which is stored on my external HDD, it asked me to reformat the HDD. I didn't want to reformat the HDD so I went looking around google for a few hours and tried out all the solutions I could find. I first saw...
unknown666 Hard Drive Support 4 01-25-2011 11:29 AM
Hdd dead or yet ?
PLEASE take some time to read the following. It took me alot of time to write it so I can describe everything that happened in detail so u would not need to know anything more and hopefully will be able to help me :( What happened: Couple of years ago I was carrying my laptop when I...
Metalloid Hard Drive Support 10 01-23-2011 08:28 AM