Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Recovering data from HDD with problems

This is a discussion on Recovering data from HDD with problems within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All I have a problem with my hard disk below. Can anyone please help me on ways to recover

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi All

I have a problem with my hard disk below. Can anyone please help me on ways to recover the data from this disk? Thanks.

System Details:

- Seagate BarraCuda 2.5" 2 TB internal model (ST2000LM007).

- Lenovo G400s laptop with Windows 7.

The problem started after hard shut down.

The BIOS can sometimes detect the HDD correctly but sometimes can't find it.
When detected, during POST I can even select "Launch Startup Repair" or "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" options.

At one time the Windows was able to go into Safe mode successfully but now can't again after hard shut down.

Now when either of the above options are selected the computer screen becomes black for sometimes then will reboot or will say
Disk Not Found / Disk Read Write Error or will just go to other boot media.

When I tested this disk with an external enclosure sometimes the Device Manager detects it but the Disk Management doesn't display it.
If it is detected then the enclosure's LED blinks.
Then after sometime it is not found even in the Device Manager and the LED colour changes and stops blinking.

While the disk was in the external enclosure and connected to the USB port,
I can feel and hear it spinning and there is no clicking or any other sound but
just a normal humming/spinning sound. The disk and the enclosure is also hot at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Ontrack.com
Old 01-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

My suggestion would be to get on another computer and download a Linux Live Disk. There are several to choose from. Puppy Linux is the smallest distro. Try to boot form the DVD. If Linux recognizes the HDD you may be able to recover your important files. Also we'll know that it's a Windows conflict and not your HDD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9BEG View Post
My suggestion would be to get on another computer and download a Linux Live Disk. There are several to choose from. Puppy Linux is the smallest distro. Try to boot form the DVD. If Linux recognizes the HDD you may be able to recover your important files. Also we'll know that it's a Windows conflict and not your HDD.
Thanks for the reply. I will try and update. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I would start with a SMART report:

https://crystalmark.info/software/Cr...-e.html‎

Look for reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors.
Closed Thread