Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

recovering data

737 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
i hv 2 questions regarding recovering data:

1) i hv been using ZAR for a while (free version), n i'm thinking of buying it...but, is this a really good recovery tool? i've tried a few other softwares but none (imo,) so far, can beat this software. or are there any other recovery tools that is better than ZAR n worth buying?

2) after recovering data from a corrupted hd, does formatting it alone enough or do i need to perform chkdsk to fix the sectors after formatting?

Sorry for the lengthy question..

#2 ·
I've never had to use recovery software so I can't recommend one over another.

Formatting alone will not fix any underlying physical probems (eg a failing drive) which often cause data corruption.

Running the Error Checker (don't know why people still refer to it as chkdsk) will fix any file system errors, & repair bad sectors (or tag them so data is no longer written to them if they are irrepairable), but again that won't tell you directly that the drive is starting to fail, even if you suspect it is.

To check for impending drive failure you should test it with the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic software. It tests the physical condition of the drive, not the data that's on it. The links are top of this page: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

#4 ·
thank you for replying

come to think of it, data recovery does not happen everyday for a person. i guess it is hard to make comparison. i guess i'll stick to zar :wink:

thank u pip22 for the advice on fixing the hd...i'll follow ur steps. i think the term chkdsk is loosely used instead of 'error checker' (including me). i think the same goes for operating system. people will always ask 'what windows are you using?'. it can't be helped i guess :normal:

the url on diagnostic tools is very helpful...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.