Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Recommendation needed for HDD testing

This is a discussion on Recommendation needed for HDD testing within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have both a question and an additional request for a generic HD testing program. I have DL both

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I have both a question and an additional request for a generic HD testing program. I have DL both Seatools and WDDriveUtilities (I have an 8-9 yr old HP W10 laptop) that I am suspecting might have a HD beginning to do "the slow crawl of death. I am getting system slow downs and once in a while (like tonight) a sound like a pump for a fish tank. I have been unemployed since 2018 but I will be going back to school and subsequently restarting my unemployment claim this week. I am teetering on my concerns just being me being an alarmist/pessimist/paranoid waiting for the "other shoe to drop" or how can things get much worse and just being cautious (I know things have a life span - even humans - lost 4 sr. members of my family all at once within 3 months span in 2018 and lost my car - $7k worth of mechanical repairs) and wanting to be prepared for needing a new HD as well as just saying "it's just in your mind that your drive might be failing".

Can anyone recommend a "non-brand specific" type of HD testing software?

Thank you for listening......and for recommendations.

Happy New Year to all!

Wonder Woman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try HD Tune, Not Pro. Open the app go to the Error Scan tab and do a full Error Scan, Not Quick it will take a long time to complete. If all of the boxes are Green, the HDD is healthy. If any of the boxes are RED the HDD is beginning to fail. It may last a few more days or a few more months, if so, make plans to replace it ASAP.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team

My System

SeaTools works just fine on other brands. It's a utility I've used frequently with many other HDD brands besides Seagate.

CrystalDiskInfo is another option. There is a free version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

The best by far is Spinrite 6 from grc.com it does the best test and data recovery that I have ever seen. While it can just do a read-only scan of an HDD, at higher levels it can go through each sector, saving the data, writing zeros and ones to every bit, replacing the data, checking every result. If the data cannot be read without error, Spinrite will turn off the error correction on the drive and re-read the raw data up to thousands of times, moving the head in between reads and reconstructing the data, using the error correction data to check to see if it found correct data.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

Why do you need to test your HDD? On a hunch? C'mon. HDD testers are all death to a HDD. They stress your HDD beyond the breaking point. If you have a good HDD now, use the following tried and true advice: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Simple Windows tests, such as sfc, can tell you if your HDD is going to fail.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

SFC just tests/fixes system files, not checks disk integrity?
Old 01-07-2020, 10:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks mitch1945. SFC tests just file integrity. I shoulda said CHKDSK. That Windows utility finds and isolates bad sectors. All WndrWmn needs to run is those two tests. She does not need to torture her disk.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:13 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Check Disk is a great tool but it isn't easy to find the results of running a Check Disk. It also doesn't tell you the HDD is about to fail or has more life left in it. Where HD Tune can tell you in the first few lines if there are Bad Sectors, clearly.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:16 AM   #9
Registered Member

Your hard drive has been logging problems it has had under S.M.A.R.T. A utility call hdsentinile (https://www.hdsentinel.com/) will show you the smart data. If you have many (>1000) bad revectored blocks you should be concerned. Particularly if the number is growing (hdsentinile will keep a history of changes). If the number of bad blocks isn't growing, you probably don't have much of a problem; I've been using a drive for several years with over 100 bad blocks.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WndrWmn View Post
I have both a question and an additional request for a generic HD testing program.

Can anyone recommend a "non-brand specific" type of HD testing software?
Would recommend HDD Low Level Format Tool for that.

Harddisk`s has a tendency to get worn, and eventually start to write "beside" the tracks, and then eventually you loose the Data.

So if you do not have any vital data on that disk, i would recommend to Low Level Format(LLF) it. LLF will make the disk format itself, and move the tracks on the storage plates to where the "heads" inside is. Means it doesn't store the data "beside" the tracks anymore.

(I am not talking about SSD disk`s here, but those "old fashion" ones.)

Tom

Just my two Cents
Closed Thread