Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

REboot and select proper boot device

This is a discussion on REboot and select proper boot device within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, my OS is windows vista 32 bit. My PC was working fine until this morning. Im know this is

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok, my OS is windows vista 32 bit. My PC was working fine until this morning. Im know this is a common problem but every other solution hasnt helped. I log in, then my pc goes to a black screen saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" this happened a couple days ago, opened up my PC and checked the wires on my hard drive, one of them was un plugged and that was the problem. Thats not the problem this time, every wires plugged in. I think my hard drive finally just died tho, my PC is about five years old. Ive replaced it once already
Any help on what i can do? Im not a compter expert but im not a novice either. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Id really like to keep it, ive got a lot of cool pics, great music, and tons of shows and movies i dont want to loose. thanks yall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

First thing I would do is try to retreive the data:

You can take the drive out and temporarily attach it to a working pc to salvage the data.

Hard Drive Recovery Tutorial - How To Slave A Hard Drive

You may have to take ownership of the files first: How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

. . or, You can use an adaptor like this: or an external enclosure like this.

or, you could use Ubuntu - this would eliminate the need to physically remove the Hard Drive.

You can get it from here: Download | Ubuntu

Step #2 on that page shows you how to create the USB/CD.

Once you boot into Ubuntu, (choose the option where it runs off the USB/CD) you can use it to copy your files from the Windows Partition to an external hard drive (Note: Do not copy anything to the Ubuntu Filesystem as it will not be saved on shut-down)

Once the data is safe, I would run diagnostics on the hard drive

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

See this for how to make a bootable cd:

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...le-341778.html
Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Cool, thanks for the help
ill try these
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Let us know how it goes . .
Closed Thread