Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

RAW hard drive

This is a discussion on RAW hard drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. How can I recover my files from a hard drive that shows on my computer and computer management as a

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

How can I recover my files from a hard drive that shows on my computer and computer management as a raw drive. It is a seagate slim back up plus. I have removed it from the external case and put it into an external adapter.I have used Test disk, but it does not detect the correct capacity. It shows partitions
with incorrect capacity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Problem is no file system shown. I've never used 3rd party software for raw drive recovery and I hope the partitions are still "solid" so perhaps someone can recommend the app (paid or free) that worked for them.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #3
Game Team Tech

have you tried to install the seagate dashboard?

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/services-software/apps/seagate-dashboard-software/

Old 07-18-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

TestDisk has shown incorrect capacity in the past, probably need to remove HPA or use the Seagate's util to restore it, but that's for later or it could be a failing drive with bad sectors.

What is your Windows OS version and how much of a difference are you seeing in TestDisk results ?

You might want to test with the linux version of TestDisk to see if that helps..

Old 07-19-2018, 01:52 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Test Disk should work, if not I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive the same size or larger to restore your files to.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:40 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Launch TestDisk, select the disk and proceed then make sure to select the correct partition table type. Look at the hint given at the bottom of the TestDisk Window if you are not sure, then proceed to the next screen. Here, select the second option [ Advanced ] i.e Filesystem Utilities. You should see a list of the existing partitions in their current state, including the RAW one. Scroll down/up to select it and then scroll left/right to select the option [ Type ] at the bottom. Press Enter to proceed to the next screen, then select MS Data as the partition type and proceed. Here select NTFS and proceed. You will be taken back to the list of partitions, but this time, the RAW partition should be listed as MS Data. Select the [ List ] option at the bottom and proceed. See if the expected files and folders are displayed in the screen that opens. If they look alright, navigate through them using the keys stated at the bottom instructions and copy them to another disk. You can try the most important single files, such as documents, first and confirm they are intact. You can then copy whole directories to another disk.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Closed this thread and referring continuation at: https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...ml#post7691970

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Closed Thread