Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Raid setup

This is a discussion on Raid setup within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am wanting to do a RAID setup in my pc. I currently have 1 1TB WD Velociraptor HD,

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I am wanting to do a RAID setup in my pc. I currently have 1 1TB WD Velociraptor HD, I'm worried it could go out at any time due to age. Most stuff is backed up. Can I buy another identical drive and install it in a RAID configuration with no issues or will I have to format both.... yada yada yada? If so, I will shop for 2 new drives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Which type RAID? Software or hardware based?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

https://datapacket.com/blog/advantag...s-raid-levels/
Old 08-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

You want RAID for backup ? I'd recommend going with a Backup solution for your data, preferably a Cloud based backup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

RAID 1 I believe. I wanted mirrored drives so if one failed, I could replace it and be back up and going. If my logic is incorrect, correct me. Yes, I should probably have a cloud as well. any recommendations? I am not much of a fan of western digital if they are still encrypting their hard drives. I have 1 2TB external that fell on the floor after someone tripped over the cord and its now junk. I assume the card inside is bad and thats what encrypts the drive..... ordinarily I could have just plugged it in as a raw storage device and removed my data. Is there a quick way to backup my passwords and all that on google chrome? sorry, been a while since I have done all this. technology evolving too quickly.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

You're correct, you can replace a Disk on the go and you'll be back up, the usual recommendation for RAID1 Mirroring, is to have the same drives with the same capacity, manufacturer and model.

While there are tweaks to get dissimilar drives setup as well, but there are always chances for issues to crop up.

To setup RAID, it's recommended to go with a Hardware solution, but can still be done through Windows. If this is your first RAID setup, then backup the DISK completely before even attempting any of this.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Yes, RAID 1 is a mirror. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standa..._levels#RAID_1

Even with that though, you still need a routine of regular backups of which some are kept offsite in case of a catastrophic event. (Such as malware infection, encryption or destruction, lightning strike, flood, theft, fire, etc.).
Closed Thread