Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

RAID question: will different drives affect performance?

This is a discussion on RAID question: will different drives affect performance? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just (today) lost a 7-month old hard drive for no apparent reason other than the fact that it decided

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just (today) lost a 7-month old hard drive for no apparent reason other than the fact that it decided to turn into a RAW drive and lose it's MFT and MFTMirr.

That being said, I'm RMA'ing the drive--it's a WD 500GB Caviar Black--to Western Digital. When I get the new drive, I'm going to want to set up a RAID 1 array for some redundancy backup.

I also currently have a 500GB Western Digital Green hard drive with some data on it. I have that data backed up on multiple drives (it's all my pictures/music/etc) and through Carbonite, so I can safely format it. My question is: would putting the 500GB WD Green and the 500GB WD Black drives into a RAID affect hard drive performance at all? The Caviar Black is faster and I don't want it to be slowed down by the Green if they are turned into an array.

Can I save ~$50 and RAID these drives, or should I spring for another Caviar Black to keep my performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

RAID is not a substitute for backup. It protects only from physical drive failures. Chances are if the file system went RAW it was a logical error with the file system, which likely could affect both drives in the RAID volume. RAID is designed for data availability, to be be able to keep on working if one drive physically fails you do not need to stop working while it is being fixed. Logical failures or filesystem failures will result in data loss. There may be a slight performance loss, but RAID1 has some slight hit on performance anyway and I doubt it would be anything you would obviously notice
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Data Recovery after RAID 5 Failure -Advanced RAID Server Data Recovery
RAID 5 is one of the implementations of RAID used primarily. This array provides data striping at the byte level with parity distributed or interlayer. Due to the availability of error-correcting bandwidth, RAID 5 is a high performance, fault-tolerant system. However, a RAID 5 array can be...
MoNnY Hard Drive Support 0 03-02-2011 02:03 AM
Raid 5 Data Recovery What To Do When Raid Fails
If you're a big corporate house, you must know about Raid 5 data recovery because RAID is a kind of storage commonly seen in corporate high end computers. Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) is a technology that allows multiple disks to divide and replicate data, thus, perform ...
MoNnY Hard Drive Support 0 03-02-2011 01:36 AM
Gigabyte Mirror Raid on backup drive need to reinstall XP on single OS drive question
So currently my gigabyte motherboard has 2-1TB drives in a mirror raid as my secondary drive for data storage and 1 250GB single drive for my OS. In the BIOS I have the setting set to RAID for my hard drives, which I set this after I loaded windows when I first started, but now my 250GB single OS...
Link2057 Windows XP Support 5 02-15-2011 07:58 PM
Help with changing 2 drives from RAID 0 to RAID 1
I am currently running my computer with 2 WD drives (Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive) in RAID 0 mode. These drives are approx. 5 years old (still going strong for now), but I fear the time may soon come when they...
delcie65 Hard Drive Support 0 01-23-2011 04:04 PM
Creating RAID 0 with SAS hard drives(help!)
I will be installing four SAS type hard drives (Serial Attached SCSI hard drives)into a desktop PC and I will be creating a RAID 0 array. But because they're SAS type hard drives, I will need to use a RAID controller card which I have purchased also since there isn't any motherboard that I know of...
BillyGman Hard Drive Support 3 01-10-2011 11:49 PM