Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raid problem.

746 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Alt-rtt 
#1 ·
Hi

I have a Pt6 motherboard and had a complety working system with raid mirroring.
I bought myself a new sata cdrom and after running windows I saw that there was now 2 local drives. To my frustration the two drives was each part of the mirror that previously was 1 drive.

I checked my bios and the drives were now set up as IDE and not RAID.

Will it be an easy fix to change this to RAID or will that make both disk unreadable?
Will changing to RAID mess up the other 3 disks I have in the machine connected to other SATA ports?

Hope you can help!

#2 ·
Yes switching it back to raid will cause data loss on the original "mirror" set. Wonder how it got switched in the first place ? Do you have a good backup of the Mirror set partition ?

#3 ·
Try to connect one yard drive from the mirror to your computer directly or through a USB adapter. Quite often Windows immediately discovers a logical disk on the drive. Then copy the files to some other place, re-create the mirror set, and copy the files back to the RAID.
If this trick doesn't help, you may try to find the logical disk on the hard drive using a file recovery program like R-Undelete. It's on-line help Recover Lost Files from Deleted/Corrupted Logical Disks/Partitions may help you to learn how.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies:)
Damn. I often feel like having a mirror of the C drive but over the years Raid has always ended up in problems. The worst thing was setting it up like one drive and windows wrote every other data to each disk. It was quick but if one of the disk failed the whole monster disk got ripped.
Anyway, how do you easily make a image of the C drive for backup?

On my mac I just connect an externaldrive and hit timemachine. C drive is then automatically backed up at any time.

Is there an equal solution on Win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.