Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAID 5 Stripe Size?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Alt-rtt 
#1 ·
I am currently setting up a new server I recently acquired (legally) which has 5x 320GB Cheetah HDD's. I was advised to run RAID 5 on them to maximize their performance. This server currently has a 2.4GHz Xeon processor with a secondary socket available for a second CPU which I plan on adding very soon. This will be a basic server for VoIP and maybe a game server for temporary tournament use. I plan on using a Linux OS (free). What do you all suggest a stripe size for my drives using RAID 5, or would you suggest another configuration?

Note: This is my first server, it is a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC

#6 ·
The question is if there is a hardware RAID controller in the server. If yes, and there is a driver for it in your Linux distro, I believe, RAID 5 is a good trade-off between disk space, disk speed, and fault tolerance. Use the stripe size default for the controller for the RAID.
RAID 10 layout is useful when you need a really fast and robust RAID and ready to give up a half of your disk space.
If there is no any hardware controller in the server, I really doubt that you need to create any RAID except a mirror if you need to preserver your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.