Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Quick Question...

This is a discussion on Quick Question... within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Is it possible to add a HDD and have it picked up whilst in hibernation, or will I have

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
Roaming To Help

Hi,

Is it possible to add a HDD and have it picked up whilst in hibernation, or will I have to shutdown?

Thats all, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #2

Exclamation

IMHO even if you could add it while in hibernation mode you shouldn't, shut down and install it while the PC is off, there is to much risk involved with dealing with electrical items while they are live to make it worth while, it could cost you your system and worst case more, just shut down to be safe.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
Roaming To Help

Thanks. Only reason I asked is because I change or add HDD's so much its a pain to restart and switch off all your applications etc. I also move large files onto them regularly to give over to someone else mostly in another country, so I thought there maybe a way around it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

When the system goes into hibernation it shuts down anyway. Add your drive in this state and restart the machine. Of course, if you meant "stand by" then the above doesn't apply.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
Roaming To Help

Yes, I meant hibernation. I needed to ask before attempting because I thought the system may not pick it up correctly. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
USB external drives can be added while the system is hot ?????

also google search for hot swappable drives >>>>>>>>>>>> I think Sata drives are hot swappable

there are many scsi drives which are hotswap capable
Old 12-06-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

But, Joe, the drive doesn't get hot swapped when the system hibernates because the machine still shuts down? AFAIK you can hot swap an external (USB) drive - can't think of any reason why you couldn't, considering you can plug/unplug a camera, USB stick and many other USB devices without powering down.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:16 AM   #8

Suprised

Yeah if it is an external drive then there should be no problems, if you unplug just use the safely remove devices bit to be safe, I assumed it was an internal drive being added, but I didn't know it went to a state of being off when in that mode, I always thought there would be some current albeit a minute amount still flowing in there, and obviously if something made the wrong contact inside the case when doing it you could short something if current was still present, maybe even catch a jolt if unlucky enough, thats why I said about shutting it down to be safe.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:24 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Guy - when the system hibernates the main difference is that it dumps the complete contents of memory to the hard drive before it shuts down. When you power up again, instead of booting normally it loads the memory dump back in so that the machine is in the same state it was before it hibernated. You can even have unsaved work in an application when you hibernate and it will also come back on power up. You are right about the system still having some power when hibernating but it is only the same power you have when it's powered down normally. Only way to have NO power at all to an ATX board is to unplug the power from the system.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:55 AM   #10

Cool

Oh right, Thanks for the info, never used it myself, always figured it was for laptop's to save battery power.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:04 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Give it a shot for your own information. To acess it click on "start|shut down" to get to the shutdown options. Now press "shift" and the "standby" icon should change to "hibernate". Click on that, allow the machine to shutdown and then reboot it.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #12
Registered Member

Opinion only:
Don't change the hardware configuration while the computer is in hibernation mode. As stated already, the hibernation file attempts to save the computer state when it goes into hibernation, and expects pretty much the same configuration when it comes out.

In my experience, hibernation causes enough problems in standard operational mode that you do not need to complicate it by changing the hardware while it is in this mode. This was my Windows 2000 experience - may be better in XP.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #13
Roaming To Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman
USB external drives can be added while the system is hot ?????

also google search for hot swappable drives >>>>>>>>>>>> I think Sata drives are hot swappable

there are many scsi drives which are hotswap capable
I have a few external drives in a cage, with a fan, USB connected. This wasn't a solution for me, as its not just me using it. Its around 300-400 people I know who do this, and we swap drives with each other regularly. The info that we swap around is usually around 200GB. Even at work and around (over 1000places), to check out a corrupt HDD, I just take it out and link it on a good working system. I need this pretty much all the time as comps are so central in everything I do. Knowing this makes it a brisk to just hibernate, link on and test! Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1952 View Post
Guy - when the system hibernates the main difference is that it dumps the complete contents of memory to the hard drive before it shuts down. When you power up again, instead of booting normally it loads the memory dump back in so that the machine is in the same state it was before it hibernated. You can even have unsaved work in an application when you hibernate and it will also come back on power up. You are right about the system still having some power when hibernating but it is only the same power you have when it's powered down normally. Only way to have NO power at all to an ATX board is to unplug the power from the system.
Thanks. I'm aware fully that the RAM is passed over to the HDD. I use hibernate all the time, but I asked thinking there could easily be a safety issue I've missed and I don't want problems with it when there's professional data on there.

I tried it, cautiously. and it picked up and I used it perfectly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8210GUY View Post
Oh right, Thanks for the info, never used it myself, always figured it was for laptop's to save battery power.
Its a nifty way of starting/restarting with the exact state of your system back on again. Like if I was typing on here, it will still show up after hibernation and to hibernation is a pretty quick process usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1952 View Post
Give it a shot for your own information. To acess it click on "start|shut down" to get to the shutdown options. Now press "shift" and the "standby" icon should change to "hibernate". Click on that, allow the machine to shutdown and then reboot it.
Thanks. I do use the S3 function pretty regularly. "Hibernating function powers down your monitor to about 5 watts of energy and your PC to 2.3 watts, similar to a shutdown."

https://www.microsoft.com/smallbusine..._at_night.mspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoYee
Opinion only:
Don't change the hardware configuration while the computer is in hibernation mode. As stated already, the hibernation file attempts to save the computer state when it goes into hibernation, and expects pretty much the same configuration when it comes out.

In my experience, hibernation causes enough problems in standard operational mode that you do not need to complicate it by changing the hardware while it is in this mode. This was my Windows 2000 experience - may be better in XP.
I have 2000 aswell but I don't use it there. It sometimes corrupted my files on waking. With XP if you have it setup right and its crucial that your RAM isn't faulty, then nothing will happen - I have tried this previously with HDD's with less than 3-4GB stored on. However it was my first time testing with a HDD with more than 30GB stored on. The power issue is minimal but if one has problems with the hardware/OS anyway, then it will only make it worse. I think its also a good indicator of hardware, esp RAM/HDD health, how it turns out after hibernation.

Thanks to all
Closed Thread