Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Question about M.2 SSD

This is a discussion on Question about M.2 SSD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have built desktop computers for years, but am unfamiliar with the M.2 socket SSD. I am building a desktop

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimlabit
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have built desktop computers for years, but am unfamiliar with the M.2 socket SSD. I am building a desktop for two of my granddaughters and want to use a M.2 SSD instead of the 2.5 inch variety. I will be using an Asus Prime Z370-A motherboard. I purchased a Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT500MX500SSD4 for the computer. I could not get bios to see it. I tried it in both SATA and PCIE mode, but could not see it in bios. I sent it back to Amazon as defective. I am looking for a replacement model, but am unsure of a good model to buy. I want it to run in PCIE instead of SATA. I believe the socket is a B & M type. Hope my terminology is correct. Again, I am unfamiliar with M.2 technology. Could one of you super intelligent people recommend a good M.2 PCIE SSD that will run on this motherboard? I very much appreciate the advice given here. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

I should have stated above that I want an SSD with around 500-512 gb of storage capacity.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

According to the motherboard Manual, Under Expansion Slots,install a Hyper M.2 X16 card (sold separately) into the PCIeX16_1 slot, enable this card under BIOS settings.
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

This motherboard has two M.2 slots available. Not sure why I would need an expansion card to install a M.2 SSD.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Why don't you get an NVME PCIe M.2 SSD instead of a SATA drive? Samsung, Crucial, WD, Intel, HP are all good. Here's an example of what to look for https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-E.../dp/B07BN4NJ2J

If attached to slot m.2_1, set it to PCIE mode in bios because that port supports both sata and PCIE modes. Slot m.2_2 on the other hand, only supports PCIE mode. If you'll also use an HDD, say for backup and bulk storage, don't attach it to SATA_1 when m.2_1 is occupied or SATA_56 when m.2_2 is occupied.

I wouldn't waste an m.2 PCIE x4 slot by using it with a SATA drive.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

I built a system using that same Motherboard, and used a Samsung 500GB NVMe X-4 M.2 card and going through the Weird new UEFI BIOS settings I managed to get it to load Win 10 the first try. Go through your BIOS and if you get stuck on a setting, read about it in your manual or use the default. You really do want to use an NVMe M.2 as the performance boost is Phenomenal over a SATA.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered and installed the Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD. I installed it on the M.2-2 socket and am running it in PCIE mode. I cannot thank you guys enough. My granddaughters love it.
Stancestans likes this.
Closed Thread