Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Question about hybrid HDD/SSD configuration for Windows 10

This is a discussion on Question about hybrid HDD/SSD configuration for Windows 10 within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I just bought a new Lenovo Y700 laptop that has a 1TB HDD + 265GB SSD. It just

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,
I just bought a new Lenovo Y700 laptop that has a 1TB HDD + 265GB SSD. It just arrived and I am now setting it up.

I have never owned a computer with two drives like this. I looked in the file explorer to see how it is configured.

It looks like the C drive is assigned to the SSD and the D drive is assigned to the HDD.

Windows is running on the C SSD. But they also put the C:\Users\MyName directory in the C drive. Why would they do this? I have more than 256 GB of music and photos and this will quickly fill up the SSD.

I am not super techy, but it seems to me that the drives should have been set up with the operating system on the SSD and all the data on the D drive.

My plan is to set up Dropbox on the D drive and put all music, documents, and data in Dropbox so it is backed up to the cloud.

Am I missing something? Do you suggest I do my plan, or is there a reason that Lenovo/Microsoft configured their hard drives this way?

Thank you in advance!

Computer specs:
Lenovo Y700 15.6" Touchscreen Notebook - UHD Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7, 16 GB DDR4 1TB HDD, 256 SSD, Nvidia GTX 960M, Windows 10) 80NW0035US
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

I always move the 'Special folders' to my data drives:
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Music
Pictures
Videos
etc. (all have 'Special icons and a 'Move' tab when you check their Properties):
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...-the-easy-way/
Old 01-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you, Satrow. I will do the same. Thank you for the article.

But why wouldn't Lenovo or Microsoft set it up this way by default? For someone who doesn't know how to tinker with Windows settings, they would easily fill up the SSD, think their hard drive is full while there is an empty 1TB HDD still on the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Sorry, I can't answer for Lenovo or MS. I'm frequently bemused/puzzled/annoyed at some of the things the OEMs and OS makers do and say.

Maybe Lenovo gave some hints about post-setup tweaks or where to store drive/data backups in their manual?
Old 01-10-2018, 12:35 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

OEM manufactures leave it as is out of the box. One of the reasons is, if you have to Reinstall Windows, set the computer to factory settings, or the D:\ HDD fails, You would have to reset all of the User files again, and most people wouldn't know how to do that on their own.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

You want to leave your SSD for your OS and most used programs only. As far as music, videos, programs etc. I always keep them on an external drive. This way if the internal drives ever fail I don't have to copy them or reinstall them all again. The most important documents I also back up on a DVD and store it at my daughter's house. Listening to music and videos off the HDD will be almost as fast as of the SSD.
Closed Thread