Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Question About Digital Storage Capacity

This is a discussion on Question About Digital Storage Capacity within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dell Optiplex 745 SSF Vista Premium SP2 I bought this computer used. It is my favorite and I use it

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Dell Optiplex 745 SSF
Vista Premium SP2

I bought this computer used. It is my favorite and I use it most. For about two weeks now, I've heard a brief screeching sound coming from the computer 4-5 times a day. I can't pinpoint its location. I'm thinking it's the HD.

I have downloaded Macrium Reflect so I can do a full disk backup. I am looking at a new 2TB hybrid drive and am ready to order.

While looking at the specs for the new drive, I saw something I don't understand, the digital storage capacity.

I know the storage capacity for all types of devices is smaller than stated on the box. For example, one of my 1TB ext. HDD's actual capacity is 931GB.

The new 2TB hybrid drive I'm looking at has a digital storage capacity of 1TB. Is this typical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You did not supply the make and model# of the SSHD Hybrid drive or a link where you are purchasing it, so we cannot confirm this information.
The way a Hybrid SSHD drive works is there is a small portion of the drive that is SolidState and the Boot file is usually written to this section. Different manufacturers may have larger SolidState sections of the HDD, so it may allow you to install Windows to the SSD portion and your Data to the Hard Drive portion. We would need to confirm this by checking the product information on the manufacturers web site, please include this in your next post.
I do not see that great of an improvement with a Hybrid drive. I prefer to have an SSD drive as the Windows Boot drive and include a secondary Mechanical HDD as data storage, IMHO.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Should mean 1tb on each side of platter = 2tb.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I went to the manufacturer's website and found less specs than at Amazon. Here is a link to Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FireC...C9%2C80%7C1%7C

Also at this link is this statement

FireCuda

Gaming systems, video editing, power computing: 5x faster than standard HDDs, more capacity than SSDs
Old 12-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Sorry. I did find this link at the very bottom of the page.

https://www.seagate.com/www-content/...3-1-1606us.pdf
Old 12-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

spunk.funk

Thank you for your input. I know nothing about setting up a computer with two separate drives. And with the Optiplex 745 SSF being so small, I don't know if an SSD would fit inside. And too, I haven't compared prices of two drives versus a hybrid. Guess I need to do some homework.

Oddly enough, Amazon's same site list this:

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)

Digital Storage Capacity 1 TB
Old 12-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Corday

It never occurred to me that the platters in a hard drive would be dual layer. But then, why not?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

The ST2000DX002 has 4 heads / 2 platters. That's a recording density of 1TB per platter. It also has 8GB cMLC NAND flash.

Seagate FireCuda Product Manual, Rev. A:
https://www.seagate.com/files/www-co...100804185a.pdf
Old 12-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

fzabkar

Too bad the specs supplied on Amazon did not supply this vital information.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
YI prefer to have an SSD drive as the Windows Boot drive and include a secondary Mechanical HDD as data storage, IMHO.

Curious as to reason. I went with two SSDs, but I got them at good prices. Are you going on cost and available sizes of HDDs for the second drive.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Confounded Also

This wont be used as a second drive, just the main and only drive.

Actually, I hadn't planned to purchase an SSD or a hybrid. I just knew that with the screeching noise coming from my computer and probably from the HDD, I should do something quickly.

I did a little research on what was considered to be the top rated drive for 2017. The Fire Cuda was at the top of some lists (for what that's worth). I don't do any gaming but I sure could use some of the increased speed this drive is touted to have.

Cost was also a factor. I can afford the modest? price. And too, as I mentioned earlier, I don't think a separate SSD will fit into my SFF computer.

And heck, none of my 8-10 computers has an SDD drive. I think it time I experience what they're like, even if it's within a hybrid. If I do get this drive, I may at some point want to transfer it to my computer running Win10.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Have you taken the side off the tower and really listened to the screech to see where it comes from? Hard drives don't generally screech. They can make tapping or clunking sounds. Processor fans screech when really hot, and case fans screech also. I think before wasting your money here you should take it to a shop and get some pro advice if you can't take the side off and find the source yourself.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

I'm not sure I would be wasting money. The current drive is quite old and only 80GB. And I do use this computer most all the time.

As you were kind enough to respond, you deserve an answer, one I've been hesitant to post.

The sound wasn't coming from the computer. I had a small, battery operated window alarm. It had a short in it and I didn't use it. As a matter of fact, I had forgotten all about it.

Somehow, the alarm found its way under the table my computer sits on. Periodically throughout the day, this alarm would make its sound for a brief 5-10 seconds. As my hearing has declined over the years, I thought it was coming from the computer.

A good laugh for all, I hope.

Thanks, Rich
Old 12-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Ha that is great thanks so much for the laugh! And yes if the drive is 80 gb and old it sure is time to replace it.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:45 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by likekinds View Post
I'm not sure I would be wasting money. The current drive is quite old and only 80GB. And I do use this computer most all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
And yes if the drive is 80 gb and old it sure is time to replace it.

Oddly enough, you can get a 1TB HDD now for prices similar to what 80GB drives sold for when new.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Actually, cost is not a factor, here. I have a good size gift card balance at Amazon. It can be used only to make purchases at Amazon. You might say I would be getting the drive for free.

And it's not about storage capacity. My first Ext HDD is 500GB, my second is 1TB and my third is 2TB. I don't really need a new internal drive with 2TB, but since the 2TB costs not much more than a 1TB, why not get the 2TB.

The only reasons I'm considering this 2TB hybrid is, the way I use computers, the HDD should be at least 500GB (my current is 80), and of course, the age of that 80GB drive is the most important reason..

An added benefit would be the increase in speed I should be getting. I may not be making the absolute best decision in getting this new drive, but if I'm not making a mistake, I will be satisfied.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

If price doesn't matter and you don't need the drive for storage well that is even more reason to buy an Ssd drive which can be warranted up to 5 times longer, depending on make and model and is minimum twice as fast as dinosaur mechanical hard drive and if 80 gb was sufficient than a 240-256 drive can be had for less $ than your 2 tb hard drive most likely.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

^^ There's still one thing I'm concerned about with SSDs. If you take a power hit with an HDD that blows the controller, you may be able to replace the controller or at least have the data recovered from the platters even if they have to disassemble the unit. I haven't seen anything that indicates that's possible with an SSD. Wouldn't a power hit render one completely dead?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

I did more research. I found this same Seagate hybrid at 500 GB for $50. The only problem is I can't find the 3.5 in., just 2.5 in. Will a 2.5 work in a 3.5 bay? Maybe an adapter sleigh or something?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Wouldn't a power hit render one completely dead?
That has been a concern of mine, as well.
Closed Thread