Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Problems with SSD + HDD combination

This is a discussion on Problems with SSD + HDD combination within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I recently purchased a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD. I planned to run Windows 7 on this SSD, along with

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I recently purchased a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD. I planned to run Windows 7 on this SSD, along with certain programs and games of my choice. All my other programs were to stay on my 1TB HDD.

After installing the SSD, I looked for suitable cloning software. I wanted something that would minimise the hassle of the process, and fiddle around with alignments and trimming etc for me. I decided to spend a little money on the Paragon Migrate OS to SSD software.

I ran the software and migrated Windows 7 and some programs I wanted to the SSD. I did as the software asked, and restarted my PC to set up the boot order.

This is where my problem starts.

- In the BMS settings (forgive me if it's a different abbreviation), if I choose the SSD as #1, the HDD does not show up in the ordinary Boot Priorities list. It just has #1 as the SSD, and #2 as my disk drive. I can boot the PC at lightning SSD speeds like this, but all of the data on the HDD cannot be accessed (I can see shortcuts with no icons, and cannot run any programs on it).

- If I leave #1 boot priority as the HDD and #2 as the SSD, Windows boots from the HDD, of course, but I can access all of the files on both.

My apologies if my explanation causes any confusion.

As far as my limited storage knowledge tells me, when the HDD is not set as a boot priority, Windows does not load the files, hence why none of its programs run. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I'm also confused by how Windows boots up from the HDD. If my software moved Windows to the SSD, what the heck is the HDD running?

So currently, I'm typing to you on my PC with Windows 7 (?) and some games on my SSD and the rest of my data on my HDD. My PC is booting up from the HDD.

Thank you very much for your support, any help/advice/suggestions are welcome!

PC specs (in case they are relevant):
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3h
Processor: Intel i5 3570K
Graphics Card: MSI GTX 760 2GB OC Gaming Edition w/ Twin Frozr
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 5.1
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 2x4 GB
PSU: XFX Pro 850W Core Edition 80+ Bronze Certified
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Solid State Drive: Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
Disk Drive: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive
Monitor: Asus VE228H 24" 1920x1080
Mouse: Shogun Bros Ballista Mk-1
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mechanical
Headset: Sennheiser PC360 G4ME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

when you install windows onto an ssd and you have a mechnical drive as well you must have the mechanical drive disconnected as windows by default does not recognise SSDs. You must also have AHCI selected in the BIOS.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
when you install windows onto an ssd and you have a mechnical drive as well you must have the mechanical drive disconnected as windows by default does not recognise SSDs. You must also have AHCI selected in the BIOS.
I cloned/migrated Windows to the SSD, not a fresh install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

still you should have the mechanical disconnected have ahci selected in the BIOS and since its a migration make sure the SSD is formatted and has a partition.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

From the Crucial website...they recommend using Acronis True Image 2014, see here. Here is a video showing how it's used..... see here.

After you cloned your drive, did you go into the BIOS and change the boot order from HDD to SSD?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

greenbrucelee, what do you mean by disconnecting the HDD? Disconnect before or after the migration, and do what with it?

bassfisher, I looked into Acronis, it does the same as my Paragon software but has far less features.
I put the SSD as #1 boot priority, but that is where my problem lies. The HDD does not show up in the list, so I cannot set it to #2. When I boot the PC with only the SSD in this list, none of my HDD files are present.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

When Windows 7 and 8 install on a HDD, they create a 100MB hidden system partition that includes the boot file. If you just clone the Windows portion of the HDD to an SSD Windows will still use the Hidden system partition of the HDD to boot the computer. If you remove this HDD, Windows won't boot. That's why, after cloning, it is suggested to Unplug the HDD and see if the SSD boots independently. Once it does, then you can attach the HDD at the next boot, and the SSD will boot from it's own Boot file.
Another point is that Programs need to be installed on the Windows OS drive that the computer boots to. A program needs access to the Windows registry on the SSD. So, if you did not clone these programs, they will not run off of the HDD.
It's best to do a clean install of Windows on an SSD, then install programs to the HDD from the SSD. Or, if you have enough space, move all of your personal files off of the HDD, and clone the whole HDD to the SSD.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Enthusiast

My System

imean you have no cables connected to the hard drive.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
When Windows 7 and 8 install on a HDD, they create a 100MB hidden system partition that includes the boot file. If you just clone the Windows portion of the HDD to an SSD Windows will still use the Hidden system partition of the HDD to boot the computer. If you remove this HDD, Windows won't boot. That's why, after cloning, it is suggested to Unplug the HDD and see if the SSD boots independently. Once it does, then you can attach the HDD at the next boot, and the SSD will boot from it's own Boot file.
Another point is that Programs need to be installed on the Windows OS drive that the computer boots to. A program needs access to the Windows registry on the SSD. So, if you did not clone these programs, they will not run off of the HDD.
It's best to do a clean install of Windows on an SSD, then install programs to the HDD from the SSD. Or, if you have enough space, move all of your personal files off of the HDD, and clone the whole HDD to the SSD.
Thanks a lot for the detail.

What would you suggest I do in my case then?

Should I delete the system partition from my HDD? Or should I try cloning the entire HDD to my SSD?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Well it is only my opinion but I have never used a Paragon program worth owning and the imaging software was the worst thing I ever used from them. But that's just my opinion that Acronis which I don't much like any more either, is a far better program than anything Paragon makes.

Clone the entire hard drive to the Ssd drive. If you cannot get that to work for you disconnect the hard drive and install Windows to the Ssd drive as Spunk has suggested.
Then go back with the hard drive plugged in and delete the system files from the hard drive once the Ssd drive boots by itself.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
Enthusiast

My System

if your going to use an imaging prog then norton ghost or acronis are the best. The rest are inferior and can cause issues.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Not much life to Norton Ghost these days though it does work with Windows 7 but it was discontinued in 2013 i'm afraid.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:15 AM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Symantec hasn't supported Ghost for some time now. It was the gold standard at one time. Acronis is what most people use now, Paragon is very similar and should work for you.
Whatever clone program you use, boot from the cloning software's Boot CD that you can create, and when you clone, clone the whole Disk (HDD) not just the partitions, to the SSD, to make sure you include the boot partition. To make sure it fits, first move all personal files off of the HDD. When the clone is complete, unplug the HDD to make sure the SSD boots independently and is set as first boot device. Then you can plug in the HDD.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks again for the help.

Does the following sound like a good idea?
- wipe the SSD of all the copied data.
- clone the entire HDD to the now empty SSD.
- unplug the HDD, set SATA mode to AHCI, set SSD to #1 boot priority.
- check if the SSD boots and runs Windows correctly.
- plug the HDD back in and set to #2 boot priority (if it is available this time).
Old 09-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

The second hard drive should have no boot ability....you are going to remove that possibility anyway and I always leave the dvd as the first bootable to save time later on. Everything else sounds correct.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
Registered Member

So you're saying that:
- in the regular boot priority list, the SSD should be #1 and the disk drive #2, with the HDD not in this list at all.
- in the hard drive priority list, SSD #1 and HDD #2.
this should work properly?

If so, I will begin cloning the entire hard drive over to the SSD immediately.

On a side note, is it worth defragmenting the HDD before the clone? I am currently in the process of doing this with Defraggler, but I will have to wait another 6 hours before I can clone if I wait for this.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #17
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

I would use some 3rd party software like MiniTool to remove the MBR from the HDD.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
Registered Member

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but what exactly is MBR and what does MiniTool do?
(EDIT): just looked it up myself - I suppose this is to prevent the computer from trying to boot Windows on the HDD? Would I remove the MBR after the clone or before? And if I wipe the HDD after the clone, do I not need to worry about this?

And do I need to do this on top of the defrag? It sped up hugely, only 1 hour until it is fully defragged.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Correct if you wipe the hard drive but that means a low level format with a utility like "Kill Disk" is used, then you don't have to worry about the pc trying to boot to the hard drive.
I wouldn't waste my time defragging a drive you are about to clone or erase as defragging basically puts existing programs in order of use and in both cases you won't have any.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #20
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

That's what I would do...after I cloned the drive, I'd pull the data/power cable from the old HDD to make sure the SSD does boot up and every thing is working correctly. Then reconnect HDD and just wipe the drive and use if for what ever.