Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problems with Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  raptor_pa 
#1 · (Edited)
ST31500341AS

Basically I think I overloaded my HD when trying to use thishttp://inlandproduct.com/usb20toidesataadapterpartnumber08412.aspx.I saw it start smoking and immediately pulled the power cable out. I realized it probably happened because I'm an idiot and had the power cable in before plugging the SATA cables in so I tried it again about fifteen minutes later and it did the same thing after a little longer time. It was probably plugged in maybe one or two seconds either time if that's relevant, but in any case I cannot get the thing to boot at all now despite neglible aesthetic damage. After looking around these forums and a handful others for a few days it seems like I overloaded at least one of the TVS diodes. I haven't been able to get my hands on a multimeter yet but they both have a bit of visual burn staining.

Unlike most of the other threads I've seen, mine seems to have sustained more damage to the 5v diode than the 12v (which is only an aesthetic diagnosis like I said). I plan on finding someone with a multimeter tomorrow or just going out and buying one. In the mean time, just to sate my weary mind, is it common or possible to have the 5v diode short? Is there a readily tested and available replacement like there is for the 12v? I could be completely off base about what's wrong but it seems to me like I may have shorted either the 5v or potentially both just from looking at it. On that note I'm going to bed, and I look forward to all of your help. I will post multimeter results as quickly as possible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/peterpantsless/AwwwwwBarracuda?feat=directlink

[Not trying to say anything about that inland product. It has worked nicely and continues to. I'm guessing I either shouldn't have used it on this drive or the house I'm in spiked because its so old.]

See less See more
#3 ·
The TVS diodes will damage to prevent damage to more serious components. You can simply replace these, best option is to find a similar PCB and transfer them. Alternatively you can transfer the 8 pin ROM chip(one marked WinBond at top left of the PCB).

I would throw the USB adaptor in the trash also...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.