Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with seagate 1 tb external hard disk and WD external hard disk.

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  loda117 
#1 ·
I had these two hard drives with me for only 5 months and it was working perfectly on my computer.. but suddenly the seagate hard disk gives an error when I plug it in the back usb port for the computer(which is a high speed one).. It says the usb device is not recognized.. I use windows 7 ultimate.. The software for it is missing or something.. thats what it says.. how do i download a driver software for my 1tb seagate? should I download it? I don't know.. Is it possible? And regarding the WD hard disk.. Thats not even giving any error when i plug it in.. it just does not read.. :4-dontkno :4-dontkno please help me :(:mad:

#2 ·
Windows (and especially Windows 7) doesn't need any external drivers, nor are any available, since Windows already has generic ones for mass storage devices.

My 4 WD external drives (two of which are 1TB) have always worked fine on Windows 7, just plugged them in and they were recognised & usable after just 4 seconds.

The only problem I sometimes have is Windows might fail to give one of them a drive-letter. That's easily fixed in Disk Management by assigning one manually. That may be your problem too, so check the Disk Management console.

#3 · (Edited)
If the problem is not with the disk letter, try to test the disks on other computer (maybe, on a friend of yours). If they work normally, most likely something wrong with the USB port you connect the disks to. If they fail too, there is either a rare case when two disks got broken simultaneously, or this is the faulty USB port that might kill the disks.
BTW, did you try the disks on one USB port of the computer, or on several ones?

#4 ·
first thing would be to plug the drive into another computer to see how it reacts
Also more information about your computer is needed make and model if custom build then the specs
Have you updated all the drivers for your computer from motherboard manufacturer or the computer maker's website specially the chipset

#5 · (Edited)
Umm yeah i did plug it on other computers but it still dint work.. My seagate one worked on the other computers but not my wd.. thats giving allot of trouble.. there's not even a single sign of that appearing.. but sometimes the wd comes up and shows up.. But when it does show up i cant see any files at all in it.. It shows up as local disk (E:) Instead of the name that i gave it... And how do you change the drive letter and all that.. Im not a computer genius but i'll know how to do it if you guys guide me through all this stuff:sigh:.. thanks.. cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.