Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Problem with RAID 0

This is a discussion on Problem with RAID 0 within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I'm having problem with RAID 0. Everything was working OK. I turned off my computer the normal way (shut

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. I'm having problem with RAID 0. Everything was working OK. I turned off my computer the normal way (shut down) and I went on vacation. When I came back from vacation after 4 weeks I turned my computer on and on the screen, when you can see RAID configuration and drives, I saw that one of the drive from RAID 0 had SMART EVENT (0) error. I left the computer on, Windows started loading but it just kept loading, got stuck on the Windows 7 logo. Weird thing is (I guess) that when I unplug the SATA cable from the drive that doesn't show the error and start the computer, the other drive (which is possibly bad) doesn't show any errors anymore. Impossible that any BIOS configuration changed while I was gone. How is it also possible that one of the drives got bad while the computer was left off for the whole time when I was gone? Has anybody ever experienced an issue like that? Any ideas what could have happened? Any chance to get that RAID 0 to work again, at least for a while to get/copy all data from the drives?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 12:09 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomalas View Post
Hi. I'm having problem with RAID 0. Everything was working OK. I turned off my computer the normal way (shut down) and I went on vacation. When I came back from vacation after 4 weeks I turned my computer on and on the screen, when you can see RAID configuration and drives, I saw that one of the drive from RAID 0 had SMART EVENT (0) error. I left the computer on, Windows started loading but it just kept loading, got stuck on the Windows 7 logo. Weird thing is (I guess) that when I unplug the SATA cable from the drive that doesn't show the error and start the computer, the other drive (which is possibly bad) doesn't show any errors anymore. Impossible that any BIOS configuration changed while I was gone. How is it also possible that one of the drives got bad while the computer was left off for the whole time when I was gone? Has anybody ever experienced an issue like that? Any ideas what could have happened? Any chance to get that RAID 0 to work again, at least for a while to get/copy all data from the drives?
Thank you
Hi. Welcome to TSF.

What make and model is your PC?

What is the exact SMART EVENT error/warning message? Does it state the SATA controller and port number of the drive that has triggered a SMART event? Since Windows doesn't load, your best bet is to boot from rescue media and retrieve your data before the bad drive goes out. You can use a Linux distro of your choice, such as Ubuntu, burn it to DVD or flash disk using Rufus, boot from it and access the RAID 0 volume to access your data and save them somewhere else. After that, run HDD diagnostics on the disks to ascertain their health.

Things do go bad when in storage for long, especially if they weren't protected against dust and humidity. It could be a simple case of a bad sata cable (roaches and other pests can do that) that's interfering with proper access to the disk(s). Failed access or read / crc errors will trigger SMART events. A routine clean-up is due after a prolonged time in storage. I usually blow it clean of dust and unplug-replug all connectors and inspect the cables for the slightest nibs and cracks and mark them.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
when you can see RAID configuration and drives
Plug all the drives in. When you boot the computer and see the RAID configuration and Drives, there should be a combo Key to press (ie) CTRL+S or whatever) to enter the RAID control panel. Here it will give you the status of the drives.
If one drive has failed, being a RAID 0 Striped set, there is no redundancy, so, you will not be able to replace the drive and rebuild the Array. Hopefully all data is backed up, as all data will be lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 05:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

It's a home build PC, no make or model exist. Everything runs on ASUS Maximus IX Code motherboard. Those two drives setup in RAID 0 are not the system drives. Windows 7 is installed on a different drive. When I disconnect both Raid drives the system boots up just fine. Like I wrote, when I have two drives connected, one of them shows smart event (0) (that's all). When I leave connected only the drive that shows an error and turn the computer on the smart event (0) goes away. However of course, data is unavailable due to second disc missing. Shouldn't I still get smart event error with that disc connected if it is bad?

I checked all cables and they are good. I used different ones, switched ports on the board and nothing. Is it possible that something happened to the raid controller on the board? The only question is how since the PC was off for four weeks.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 AM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

How do you have the PC connected to a power source? Do you use a power strip or a power strip with surge protection? Here's one scenario: If you do and just turn off the PC leaving the power strip/surge protection on....during your time away there could have been a power outage that had a power spike and it still got through to your PC. It has happened.

When leaving for an extended period of time....it's best to unplug everything.

Depending on age of HDD's and usage (ware/tare)....it's possible the HDD just failed. No power needed to cause a failure. In this case it might be do to the lack of constant power the caused it's death. It's possible...but the "Why's" of how is endless.

NOTE: If using a RAID for data....it's a must to use RAID 1 or 5 depending how many HDD's is used.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

It's connected to the APC UPS (surge protector output). I thought (not really sure now) I turned off the switch on the PC's power supply to cut the power to the PC completely but I guess I didn't. I had most data backed up and will have to get over with everything else that got lost. I'm going with raid 10 now. I have already bought 4 new drives.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

The problem still remains.....if it's still plugged in....a surge can still move through it, no matter if a switch has been turned off. It's the physical connection. Even though a APC with a surge protection is used....it's not full proof.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

As stated in post #3, if you enter the RAID Configuration control panel, it will give you a lot more information about the RAID array and the health of the drives in question.
Closed Thread