Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Problem with hard drive/Windows 8 no bootable device

This is a discussion on Problem with hard drive/Windows 8 no bootable device within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Toshiba Satellite Laptop L850D-12p Windows 8. Hello I went to reset my friends laptop yesterday, after trying the hold 0

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Toshiba Satellite Laptop L850D-12p Windows 8.

Hello

I went to reset my friends laptop yesterday, after trying the hold 0 and power for about 20 attempts I finally got into the recovery section. There was no partition to reset to and I accidently pressed delete the hard drive and cancelled that within a few seconds.

Since then the laptop will not boot up, I have tried to make various bootable disks using ISO and it will occasionally give the option to boot by disk but then just goes back to no bootable device found. I have tried to make a bootable USB also but this does not read at all (using windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. I have tried an original windows XP disk but it doesn't read that at all, I have also tried Windows 7 ISO. Also downloaded Hirens Boot but it does not read that either.

I have tried disabling the boot security in the bios, F8 does not work, nor does holding 0 and power (I have attempted this many times)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am not very technical minded so may need it in laymans terms.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

What is your goal here? To save his data?

You could plug the hard drive into a working desktop PC and gather information that way.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Do not press power and o just restart the computer and press the o key continuously. It should take you into the eRecovery and you can set the computer back to Factory defaults. If that doesn't work, then restart the computer and press F2 to enter Setup (Bios) here go to Boot Priority, using your arrow and Enter key, choose USB, if that is an option, Save and Exit, then put in your USB and reboot.
If that fails, back in Setup (Bios) go to Boot Priority and choose CD/DVD rom drive as First boot device. boot off of the install CD/DVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Just some advice here, you need to try legit Windows7 install media or Toshiba RECOVERY DISCS that came with your Satellite laptop.

None of the methods you have used to create a bootable Win7 usb flash drive will work! I spent 2 yrs. getting one to work, and it will NOT work with any ISO images currently on the Internet. Microsoft has REMOVED all of those images due to software piracy issues. I have confirmed this with Techs on other forums who are Microsoft employees. This is why you have failed with this method. The only way I got it to work was to use an actual Microsoft Factory Win7 media disc (the ones that you buy in retail packages in the stores); but they are no longer availabe in retail. You can buy on the Internet for $80-$90 U.S. I have successfully produced a usb bootable flash drive by creating an ISO image of this legit Microsoft media!

Your best bet is to buy the Microsoft Win7 media on eBay or Amazon as here: [url=https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002DHGMK0//ref=nosim/connorswebguidec Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium: Software[/url]
Of course you can find cheaper, but make sure you buy the correct version for your Toshiba Satellite either 32bit or 64bit. My Win7 Home Premium media comes with discs for both; many packages only come with 1 disc and you have to send off to Microsoft for whichever one the package is missing. It really helps to identify this for your specific model laptop prior to buying the Win7.

You can go to the Toshiba website and order RECOVERY DISCS for your exact model laptop, Satellite L850D-12p you said? They should be available for between $30-$99 and take 2 weeks or so to get to you after you buy online or give them a credit card. You can also call them on the phone and order through their excellent Tech Support at toshiba.com.

Good Luck!
BIGBEARJEDI
Old 07-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

hi Marley:

Oops! I was trying to edit my mistake about Win7; I see you are running Win8; but my time expired on the edit so I'm stuck with the Post.

Everything I said about Win7 just replace with Win8. You can buy Win8 media here:
Windows 8.1 Update and Full version - Newegg.com

BIGBEARJEDI
Closed Thread