Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with external hard drive after reformatting

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ctw987 
#1 ·
I have an Imation Apollo external hard drive that came with Arcsoft's Total Media Backup software. Whilst attempting to reformat a different external hard drive, I accidentally reformatted this one. Since the reformatting, any videos or music files I try to play from the drive are really glitchy - large chunks of every song will be blank, the video will keep freezing, etc. I never had this problem before and could always play files directly from the hard drive with no problems. I checked the user manual and it said that if you're ever planning on reformatting it, be sure to save the Total Media Backup files first. Obviously I didn't do this. I've tried searching online but can't find any solution to this problem. Does anyone know what I can do to get the external hard drive working properly again?

#3 ·
I accidentally reformatted this one. Since the reformatting, any videos or music files I try to play from the drive are really glitchy - large chunks of every song will be blank,
Formatting=Erase. You cannot partially format a drive. So, if you formatted it, then it would be totally erased?! There would be no files on the drive.
If your files are there but corrupted, Run Check Disk on the drive.
Go to Start/Search and type CMD Right click the CMD icon in the system tray and Run As Administrator. In the Command prompt type the Drive letter of the drive (ex) F: and press enter. The prompt will now read the drive letter (ex) F:\> now type chkdks /F and press enter. Now type a Y to Unmount the drive. Check Disk will try and fix any file errors.
You can also run Test Disk to try and recover your files.

#4 ·
Sorry think I was a bit unclear on that. I reformatted and erased all the music, videos etc. on the disk. Since then I've moved new files onto the disk and its these new files that are not playing properly.

I followed the links to download the Windows version of Test Disk at the link you've both provided and get a message saying that the zip file is invalid :confused:

#6 ·
Thanks for posting the zip file, I've managed to get Test Disk working now.

Yeah the original files are fine, I just tried copying an mp3 to the drive and sections of the song play blank from the external hard drive but work fine when I play the version stored on my internal hard drive.

The message I got when I ran Check Disk told me that 'write isn't available because the partion table [none] is selected' - do I need to partition the hard drive before I can play files from it? Check Disk didn't find any errors on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.