Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

possible to transfer OS from HDD to SSD? Also neither showing up in win 8 install

This is a discussion on possible to transfer OS from HDD to SSD? Also neither showing up in win 8 install within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry for making so many posts, just trying to get this solved. I have a 128gb SSD and a 1tb

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Sorry for making so many posts, just trying to get this solved.

I have a 128gb SSD and a 1tb HDD. Currently windows 8 is installed on the 1TB and to my knowledge I dont think it is possible to just transfer my OS from my HDD to my SSD (both installed inside my laptop). So I decided to try installing it from a disc and a usb stick and both times when I go to choose a custom installation, it finds 0 disks. Neither the HDD or the SSD...anyway to change this? Or to just transfer the OS to the SSD? Also...is it 100% worth it to transfer it to the SSD?

Thanks so much in advance. This website is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Emeritus

OS from Hdd to SSD: How to Migrate to a Solid-State Drive Without Reinstalling Windows
If this is an OEM PC and the OS was pre-installed, you would need a Recovery disc from the manufacturer.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

If you want to do a Clean Install then follow these suggestions:
1 - put your Windows disc/USB in and boot it
2- Go to Repair Your Computer, When that fails,
3- In the RE (recovery environment) choose command prompt and type following commands:
i) diskpart
ii) list disk
it will show the list of your drives, with the information:
- status
- total space
- free space
status would probably be "invalid" and free space would be "0 bytes"
you have to select the drive next with

iii) select disk <disk number>
disk number = as listed in previous command, normally 0
iv) clean (this erases all data on the disk so be sure you select the correct drive)
now for verification of disk status and free space type
v)list disk
the status should be "online" and free space should be "disk size"
vi)exit

4- now restart the machine and boot from the Windows Disc/USB again
proceed and at "select disk to install windows" you would be able to view the hard disk drives
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't remove ROOTKIT virus on Win7
Hello, remove them with that programm. I have Normally i use mac OS Snow Leopard, but I have also Win7. My mac started to be unusually slow and now I can't type or click. I ran Avast and he found infected files only on Win7. I tried to remove them, but i couldn't and I also couldn't move them...
Mimy_88 Inactive Malware Help Topics 8 06-27-2013 04:44 AM
[SOLVED] Windows Install doesnt find sata hdd
I was recently giving a desktop tower which ran vista home premium. when i received it the hdd was missing so I installed my own sata hdd and went to install vista home on hdd but vista doesnt recognize the hdd. when in bios my sata hdd is set to master sata 1 THINGS DONE I put in an old IDE...
Thomas_Hoey Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 1 06-09-2013 02:00 PM
Problem using original HDD (replaced with SSD) as 2nd drive
Happy Friday folks! Not sure if this is right place but here's the story. ACER 8943G, replaced original HDD with an SSD, cloned boot system etc and SSD working fine as main drive for a long time now. Finally got replacement second drive cover that actual allows you to use second drive (curse...
BigAlMc Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 5 04-08-2011 11:50 AM
How do install both win 7 and server 2003 OS in sony notebook ?
Hi Friends, I bought new Sony 64bit with win7 notebook recently (which I can back up the OS ). Now I need to install server 2003 as additional OS. When I do partition and installing 2003, not able to open win 7, itís missing. Hope as per my understanding, bootable files are overweighting with...
sri_01 Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 1 01-02-2011 11:50 PM
Vista to XP Downgrade Compaq/ HP F700/G6000/DV6900/DV6700/DVx7xx/DV9800 Series Laptop
GUIDELINES Please read the following:. I have compiled a list of drivers for the Compaq Presario/HP F700/G6000,DV6900/DV6700/x7xx and DV9800 series laptops with an AMD Processor ONLY. These drivers have been used "Successfully" to downgrade these laptops from Vista to XP. I must warn you....
BCCOMP Laptop Support 3 11-04-2008 07:58 PM