Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possible to get around bad sectors?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
I am working on a friends HDD because it has some bad sectors. I am using the HDD Regenerator program to try and repair it and I noticed that all the bad sectors are in the first 3 GB of the hard drive.

I was just wondering if there is any way to partition off the first 3 GB and not use them. Whenever I try to install Windows, it names the first partition C: and requires me to install Windows on C:.

Is there anyway to block off 3 GB without naming it C: or anyway to install my OS on a partition other than C?

(I realize the best solution to bad sectors is to buy a new hard drive but this is my friends 3rd computer which he doesn't really use so it wouldn't be worth the money. We were just trying to see if it could be fixed.)

Thanks for any advice!

#4 ·
I realize that the HDD is just going to get worse and is going to be unusable but I am just trying to figure out if there is a way to write data around it. I could try the quick format idea but I was hoping I could just block off the bad section and write around it.

#7 ·
If you have the DR tools to access the G-List and know the bad sectors you could add them manually however the drive should be doing this already for you. My guess is SMART is tripped and the G-List is full. Run hddscan from hddscan.com and post an "image" not the raw data. What you want to do can be done to change the capacity of the drive but from what I have seen it only allows you to cut the space used from the end of the drive not the beginning. Its also how the hpa is setup that is one option to create that at the beginning Host protected area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I agree with the other posts here and would not trust the drive either based on what your posting. Lets see the smart data and go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.