Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possible Drive or Graphics defection.

955 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  NocturnalFoster 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, I'm the problem I am having occurred today. 9/8/11
What had happened was I noticed the computer took a little longer than normal to boot up. Then I was just checking some personal stuff and joined a friend on a online game. It ran fine for 20 minutes then it froze up on me. I thought nothing of it. Just the card being stupid. So I reset the computer. Then when it was booting I walked out of the room to get something and when I came back it was still on the Windows XP loading screen not doing anything. I had tried various stuff to get it unstuck. Then I reset it for a second time. After that it kept freezing on various parts of the booting information. Eventually I got a "Disc read boot error. Must put disc in."

This was troubling to me. Because I don't have a copy of WinXP with a serial number I can use anymore. Because they have all been used up. My first thoughts were that it was either a virus or a defected piece of hardware. I checked the sata cables and put spare ones in their in place of the old ones. It booted up fine. Then I started to play something again and it froze. Then got into more trouble with the disc boot garbage.

What would you guys think this problem sounds like?

Current CPU

AMD Phenom iix4 965 (3.4 ghz)
4gb DDR3 240 pin
Zalman 9500
Gigabyte GA 790
XFX 750w Semi Modular PSU
Cruddy DVD/CD rewritable combo (Sata)
Western Digital 7200 rpm 500gb h drive

I'm posting about a problem that occurred today on my pc. 9/8/11

~ I really need to get some sleep. Forgive poor sentence structure. Long week.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I know the problem can't be with the hard drive. Because I'm currently using it in a old pc. I think the problem is with the bios or my mobo unfortunately. Still running diagnostics whenever I can get the time to do so.

The computer boots slower and it sometimes doesn't detect the drive. It's hasn't done the blue screen (stop error) menu in awhile. I didn't get the chance to obtain the numbers for the problem. Sometimes I get to the OS system desktop. It works for a short time and freezes.

Going to try a alt hard drive in the new computer with the problem.

#5 · (Edited)
What do you mean by using the drive in another system? If your using it as a second drive (not the main OS drive) then it may appear to work fine. Your symptoms are a classic sign of a hard drive issue. Slow booting, freezing at Windows loading, freezing while in Windows. Considering you stated "hasn't done the blue screen (stop error) menu in awhile" further confirms a hard drive issue. If that happens too often it will create bad sectors on the drive and when Windows goes to either read or write to that sector(s) it will freeze or blue screen. I strongley suggest you do what Loda117 suggested in post #3.

#7 ·
Amd_Man, I am using that drive as a primary. I just tossed it in a old dual core to test it out. I did however follow up Loda117 posted.

Currently going to run some tests on this alt computer on the drive. Then I'm going to look up some bios for a Gigabyte GA-790. I'm beginning to think the problem is with the mobo of the computer, unfortunately. When I go into the CMO features of the bios. It doesn't appear to show the drive amongst that list. Even though it should have it when it is set to auto or sata. I'm questioning if the bios happen to reset or do something from a power failure. Leading it to possibly not boot up right?

This just happened one day out of the blue with no previous problems. I did back up all the stuff I need for safekeeping. So a new partition isn't out of the question. Windows XP 32/64 bit.

*Sorry if my comments aren't explained that well guys. After some tests I will post something short and sweet and well written of the current situation. Thank you for the replies!

#8 ·
Okay, it's working so far. 5 minutes in and no freezing!

Replaced the sata's ata cord with a old spare. Bios is now detecting it.

Ran a integrity program, defragged, and did a error-check on the drive.

I think the problem was a possible sata connector like Loda117 said. I did however also had to reset and redo my bios. Going to look online for a update and make a fresh backup of stuff for safe keeping.

Thank you guys for your replies! It's always been help to get your opinions.

~ Peace

#10 ·
Do not update the BIOS unless the update specifically addresses a problem you are having. It should not be done just because there is a newer version available or you hope it will fix some problem you are having. A failure during the flash procedure, which can happen even if you do everything right, often requires physical replacement of the BIOS chip to recover.

#11 ·
Well I'm back and here is the problem.

1. Computer booted up slow one day.

2. Blue screen.

3. Operating system freezing up.

4. BIOS failing to boot sata drive. (Disc Read Error)

5. OS Sometimes loads. But takes longer than normal. (Runs for seconds to mins then freezes)

This was my approach.

1. Replace sata cords and checked PSU.

2. Run AVG *Free and AVG PC Tune up (Computer froze before I could look into some file corruption.)

3. Did a error check on the sata drive.

4. Tested it out in a older computer. (Worked fine)

5. Checked and reset the bios. Then adjusted them accord.(Tested on IDE and AHCI)

6. Analyzed a microsoft error report from a crash. (Said two files were causing conflict.)

7. Attempted to repartition the drive. (Kept getting blue screen on loading the OS Disc.)

And that is where I left off. Currently using a IDE drive in the custom built computer. It's running fine. But is seemed take a little longer loading than usual.

My next step for the sata drive is to attempt a repartition on another computer. At the end of the year I'm going to buy another sata drive 1tb with Windows 7 Home Premium.

I'm currently using a sata multi-drive and a sata hdd. Both came up as Master on the boot menu. I suppose if the multi-drive is working fine. Then it couldn't be the sata ports on the mobo. Just me or does this sound more like a mishap with the drive or the bios? Sorry to bring this old news up for you guys again.

I finally got two days off from work. So now I can put more attention to this problem. :(

#13 ·
Lets go back a step from installing or formatting the drives

Did you run the HDD diagnostics or no? if so did you get any errors etc

It is important to find the exact issue with the hardware rather then tuck it away by installing fresh new OS because it will come back and haunt you again

so run the Test on both Drives (extensive long ones not short) and if anything post the results here

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.