Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please help with boot after installing new hard drive!

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have an HP Compaq dc5759. The hard drive crashed so I got a new hard drive and set it up with all cables.
Now every time I start the compuer I get the following:
media disk failure, check the cables, PXE rom, then it switches to black screen with Non-system disk or disk error.

I have original HP Restore plus disk and windows xp pro SP2 disk which both came with compute.
Also I burned another windows xp disk, no result, same error.
Boot order is correct, I even disabled hard drive and usb, left only cd-rom.

Please help.

#2 ·
OEM PC's typically use multiple partitions on their HDD's. There is often one or two smaller partitions which can contain the Windows data files (ie: installation files - basically a copy of the Windows disc), other recovery files/software, or a Windows backup dir. And then there is the primary partition for the Windows installation and all of your programs/files. There is also quite often, boot software on the drive.

If you are using the "recovery disks", they are likely trying to reference one of the smaller partitions or other software that is no longer available (ie: the new drive doesn't have those partitions or software).

You may/should be able to simply perform a normal Windows installation using a Retail version of Windows.

However, in order to recover or use your current OEM version of Windows, you will need to contact the manufacturer for proper installation procedures for a new HDD. I'm not familiar with the process (if there is one...but I would assume that there is).

#5 ·
thanks for replies!
As I noted in post, boot order is correct: I disabled in bios the hard drive and usb, left only cd-rom. So it is booting from cd-rom. I downloaded also another windows xp (not the one that came with computer), burnt to disk, still no result. Same error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.